Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Pankaj Tiwari <ti...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/19 17:04:08 UTC

Build fails with error

Hi All,
 I am new to the OpenJPA community. I downloaded the build from https://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openjpa/trunk/ and tried to build the project. But
i am getting error in building OpenJPA- Utilities project. The exact error
is pasted below

G:\oss\openJPA\openjpa-lib\src\main\java\org\apache\openjpa\lib\jdbc\DelegatingDataSource.java:[35,7]
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.DelegatingDataSource is not abstract and does
not override abstract method isWrapperFor(java.lang.Class<?>) in
java.sql.Wrapper
[ERROR]
[ERROR]org/apache/openjpa/lib/jdbc/DelegatingResultSet.java.java:[50,7]
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.DelegatingResultSet is not abstract and does not
override abstract method updateNClob(java.lang.String,java.io.Reader) in
java.sql.ResultSet
[ERROR]
[ERROR]org/apache/openjpa/lib/jdbc/DelegatingDatabaseMetaData.java.java:[31,7]
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.DelegatingDatabaseMetaData is not abstract and
does not override abstract method
getFunctionColumns(java.lang.String,java.lang.String,java.lang.String,java.lang.String)
in java.sql.DatabaseMetaData
[ERROR]
[ERROR]org/apache/openjpa/lib/jdbc/DelegatingPreparedStatement.java.java:[51,7]
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.DelegatingPreparedStatement is not abstract and
does not override abstract method setNClob(int,java.io.Reader) in
java.sql.PreparedStatement
[ERROR]
[ERROR]org/apache/openjpa/lib/jdbc/DelegatingConnection.java.java:[47,7]
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.DelegatingConnection is not abstract and does
not override abstract method
createStruct(java.lang.String,java.lang.Object[]) in java.sql.Connection
[ERROR]
[ERROR]org/apache/openjpa/lib/jdbc/DelegatingStatement.java.java:[37,7]
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.DelegatingStatement is not abstract and does not
override abstract method isPoolable() in java.sql.Statement
[ERROR]
[ERROR]org/apache/openjpa/lib/jdbc/DelegatingCallableStatement.java.java:[49,7]
org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.DelegatingCallableStatement is not abstract and
does not override abstract method setNClob(java.lang.String,java.io.Reader)
in java.sql.CallableStatement
[ERROR]
[ERROR]

Can anyone help me out with this. I wanted to build the OpenJPA and then
will try to understand the code, so that i may also contribute to this.

Thanks and Regards
Pankaj Tiwari

Re: Build fails with error

Posted by Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Pankaj Tiwari,
you are building against java 6, and unfortunately this is not yet
supported.

Point your JAVA_HOME to a java 1.5 JDK and it will build correctly.
Please note that this does not mean that OpenJPA does not RUN under java
6, simply it will not build against a JDK 1.6.

That is because OpenJPA subclasses some JDBC classes, JDK 6 comes with
new JDBC 4, but at the same time the JPA standard does not yet define
any support for new JDBC 4 types, so current subclasses of OpenJPA are
stuck to JDBC 3. Since JDBC 4 declares new methods and types in
DataSource, PreparedStatement and many other interfaces, it results that
OpenJPA implementations are not complete for JDBC 4 and those errors are
reported.

Bug OPENJPA-5 has a quite extensive discussion on this problem and
possible solutions.

Hope this helps,
Simone

--
Simone Gianni            CEO Semeru s.r.l.           Apache Committer
MALE human being programming a computer   http://www.simonegianni.it/