Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> on 2016/06/01 03:53:54 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Replacing the automatic Jenkins jobs with Apache Yetus qbt

I'm in favor of something that helps unify the current mess of Jenkins
jobs. We do something similar for our internal Hadoop repo: each branch has
a "build.sh" and "test.sh" script that builds and then runs the tests. This
predates Yetus, else we'd probably have used that. So +1 from me.

One thing I also find really helpful is riding over flaky tests, perhaps
via:

http://maven.apache.org/surefire/maven-surefire-plugin/examples/rerun-failing-tests.html

This would be great for precommit too, since right now someone has to run
the failed tests locally to confirm they're flakes.

Even better is then feeding the success/failure into a DB so you can track
flaky rates over time, which helps you prioritize which flaky to fix first,
and helps you find the change which caused the flakiness.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <al...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
	OK, first report was sent out in lieu of the map reduce and common reports.  I'll turn off HDFS and YARN next week some time.  For the comparable OS X report, I need:

	* YARN-5121 rebased and committed
	* a fix for YETUS-414 (which I'm testing)
	* and potentially need to get INFRA involved to fix the Java installation to support JNI properly (which is why 2/3 ctest failures are happening in libhdfs.  The other one appears to be an actual bug.)

	After the OS X one is brought live, we'll have a pattern to support other operating systems. (e.g., the PowerPC bits)

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <al...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
[...]

      Redundant nullcheck of execTypeRequest, which is known to be non-null in org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.records.ResourceRequest.equals(Object) Redundant null check at ResourceRequest.java:is known to be non-null in org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.records.ResourceRequest.equals(Object) Redundant null check at ResourceRequest.java:[line 361]

      https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt/46/artifact/out/branch-findbugs-hadoop-yarn-project_hadoop-yarn_hadoop-yarn-api-warnings.html [8.0K]

      https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt/46/artifact/out/patch-unit-hadoop-hdfs-project_hadoop-hdfs.txt  [144K]
      https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt/46/artifact/out/patch-unit-hadoop-yarn-project_hadoop-yarn_hadoop-yarn-server_hadoop-yarn-server-resourcemanager.txt  [60K]
      https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt/46/artifact/out/patch-unit-hadoop-yarn-project_hadoop-yarn_hadoop-yarn-server_hadoop-yarn-server-tests.txt  [268K]
      https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt/46/artifact/out/patch-unit-hadoop-yarn-project_hadoop-yarn_hadoop-yarn-client.txt  [908K]
      https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt/46/artifact/out/patch-unit-hadoop-mapreduce-project_hadoop-mapreduce-client_hadoop-mapreduce-client-jobclient.txt  [92K]
      https://builds.apache.org/job/hadoop-qbt/46/artifact/out/patch-unit-hadoop-mapreduce-project_hadoop-mapreduce-client_hadoop-mapreduce-client-nativetask.txt  [124K]

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1 from me too.

-Akira

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good. +1.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.
> On May 31, 2016, at 8:53 PM, Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> I'm in favor of something that helps unify the current mess of Jenkins
> jobs. We do something similar for our internal Hadoop repo: each branch has
> a "build.sh" and "test.sh" script that builds and then runs the tests. This
> predates Yetus, else we'd probably have used that. So +1 from me.
>
> One thing I also find really helpful is riding over flaky tests, perhaps
> via:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/surefire/maven-surefire-plugin/examples/rerun-failing-tests.html
>
> This would be great for precommit too, since right now someone has to run
> the failed tests locally to confirm they're flakes.
>
> Even better is then feeding the success/failure into a DB so you can track
> flaky rates over time, which helps you prioritize which flaky to fix first,
> and helps you find the change which caused the flakiness.

	Appy over in HBase-land has added flaky detection and the ability to track and ignore them to their Yetus personality.  At some point, I’m sure we’ll see that code float upstream in a more generalized manner as they get more experience with it.