Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "George R. Kasica" <ge...@netwrx1.com> on 2006/01/12 20:34:47 UTC

Continuing Exim 4.60 & SpamAssassin 3.1.0 Problems

Help needed please!

We are trying to upgrade from exim 3.36 and SA 3.0.4 to Exim 4.60 and
SA 3.1 and are having no end of difficulties here. We just decided to
pull SA 3.1 out and go back to 3.0.4 as we cannot get it to scan each
message, not time out or crash and not use up all the CPU cycles.
without SA running load with a w is generally < 2 with it up and going
10, 12 or higher is not unusual and causes many problems. 3.0.4 does
not have this problem. We have cut our rules files down from the SARE
set we are running to the "stock" set from the 3.1 install with little
difference - it still times out and skips mail scans here for no
obvious reason. The latest glitch is that we are sending out multiple
copies of e-mails I'm thinking due to system load caused by SA 3.1
messing up Exim.

I'm happy to supply any info anyone needs to solve this - configs,
traces, etc. Just ask for what you need to see and I'll get it to you
(possibly off list for security reasons) ASAP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing SA or Exim (have used both here
for many years quite happily and promote them whenever the opportunity
comes up) and am not angry at anyone but we need to have a functional
system here and right now I don't know how to do that with SA 3.1 and
Exim 4.60 and am looking for help in getting back to current software
revs and a working combination.

Thanks in advance,

===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
Netwrx Consulting Inc.          Jackson, WI USA
http://www.netwrx1.com
georgek@netwrx1.com
ICQ #12862186