Posted to marketing@couchdb.apache.org by Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com> on 2014/03/24 10:41:22 UTC

Lena says hi // The CouchDB weekly news

Hello everyone,

I'm Lena, a Berlin-based writer and photographer and working on Hoodie's (hood.ie) marketing and communications for one year now. Besides, I'm helping out with marketing for various conferences like Reject.js, Nodecopter and CSSConf EU.

I got into CouchDB via Jan L. and Noah who also came up with the idea to start a "CouchDB weekly news" collection on the CouchDB blog. And this is what I'd like to share my thoughts on with you.

THE IDEA
The idea is to give everyone who's interested a weekly-issued, short overview of what is happening in the CouchDB universe - including all (or at least the most) important things that have been going on in the past week.

THE WHY AND HOW
I've been doing a similar weekly link collection for Hoodie's blog for almost one year now (find all posts here: http://blog.hood.ie/category/tgif-weekly-reading-recommendations/ ). It helped us a lot in a few ways: after a few weeks, people started asking for it when we couldn't post it once. It also helps us reach more people, spread our own content better and all in all we got a lot of very good feedback. People tell us they're looking forward to these posts each week.
And I think, in general and based on all the things Noah and Jan told me about the CouchDB community, that it could be possible to reach something similar for CouchDB, too. Due to the different community structure, the CouchDB weekly news will be far more tech-focussed than the ones I'm doing for Hoodie. My work on this will be supported by Cloudant; Jan and Noah have already agreed to give me general feedback, especially in the first weeks.

I'm aiming to dive deeper into what's happening in the CouchDB community for reasons of personal curiosity and interest; and I'm definitely hoping to support your work on CouchDB's Marketing with this in the long term. I'll also aim for supporting CouchDB's marketing with other work besides these "weekly news", I'll try to keep track of the things I can do via this mailing list and also stay in contact with Noah :)

THE SCHEDULE
- release: weekly on thursdays at 11am UTC on CouchDB's blog

THE STRUCTURE + CONTENT
- similar to https://blogs.apache.org/cloudstack/entry/apache_cloudstack_weekly_news_42
	- Major discussions on mailing lists, blogs, a short summary of discussions in the weekly CouchDB meeting and around
	- News in the universe
	- Releases
	- Events
	- New Committers and PMC Members
	- plus: 1-2 "and also in the news" things (something funny, … which doesn't have to be technical)

---

This is currently the main things I got about this (I hope I didn't forget anything). I'll be trying to get into this in the next weeks and I'd really appreciate your feedback. So if you'd love to add things here, know about a relevant source / piece of writing that should be in there or want to give general feedback: I'd really love to hear from you.

Looking forward to working with you!

Best from Berlin

Lena

--

Lena Reinhard
Twitter: twitter.com/ffffux

Re: Lena says hi // The CouchDB weekly news

Posted by Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com>.
On 25.03.2014, at 16:39, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> It might be easier on your mailbox to use our mail archives.

Good point :)

> Either MarkMail which is a 3rd party which has a nice interface to our lists:
>
> http://markmail.org/search/list:org.apache.couchdb-*?q=test

Did the setup for MarkMail yesterday, looks good to me, thanks for pointing this out last week!

> Or the official ones here:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-erlang/
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-l10n/
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-marketing/
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-replication/
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-user/
>
> (Details of these lists on the main CouchDB homepage.)
>
> Links to mails can go to either location, but I find the MarkMail ones
> easier on the eye.
>
> We'll set you up with Twitter, Google+, Facebook access too I think.

Sounds great! I don't use Facebook anymore, consider setting up a fake account for all the social media stuff I do for various projects, will keep you updated about this.

> +1 on bringing everything to the blog. We don't want to bifuricate our
> marketing efforts.

Good thing. Guess Dave will notice it anyway, a forward or similar can still be implemented one day(TM).

> Also: how's the CouchDB Planet coming along? Another good source of news.
>
> Another source of news is from monitoring social media. I'm chatting
> with Cloudant about getting an account set up on something like
> HootSuite. I should probably follow that up.

I also added an alert on alert.io (the second tool you recommended), but I'm open for any other tool which helps.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
> [...]

>> many places to post stuff.
>>
>> Best
>> Jan
>>

> +1

>> > Btw, user@ sometimes becomes also interesting place, where announces
>> > happens. Yesterday there was started yet another thread about CouchDB
>> > on Healthcare and there are mentioned few more projects and companies
>> > that are used CouchDB for that case. Probably, it could be good idea
>> > to ping these guys to let them tell more about their experience with
>> > CouchDB: that could be interesting for another post to blog and weekly
>> > news (;
>> >
>> > Also, don't miss our G+ community where we post about some articles
>> > and releases: https://plus.google.com/communities/112687873154936256826
>> > Sure, probably all these stuff is available on Twitter (via NoSQL
>> > Weekly News for instance), but just for case (;

Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: Lena says hi // The CouchDB weekly news

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: Lena says hi // The CouchDB weekly news

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lena!

Posted by Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com>.
Great, thank you!

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
> [...]

>> the first weeks.

>> community for reasons of personal curiosity and interest; and I'm
>> definitely hoping to support your work on CouchDB's Marketing with this in
>> the long term. I'll also aim for supporting CouchDB's marketing with other
>> work besides these "weekly news", I'll try to keep track of the things I
>> can do via this mailing list and also stay in contact with Noah :)

>> https://blogs.apache.org/cloudstack/entry/apache_cloudstack_weekly_news_42
>> discussions in the weekly CouchDB meeting and around
>> which doesn't have to be technical)

>> forget anything). I'll be trying to get into this in the next weeks and I'd
>> really appreciate your feedback. So if you'd love to add things here, know
>> about a relevant source / piece of writing that should be in there or want
>> to give general feedback: I'd really love to hear from you.

Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: Lena says hi // The CouchDB weekly news

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: Lena says hi // The CouchDB weekly news

Posted by Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com>.
Hi Any, hi Garren,

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Lena,

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
Moin Moin and welcome Lena!

This sounds awesome - I am really looking forward to see the Weekly news :)

I started to write up some recent "news" and threw it to the marketing ml
without feedback yet. You are welcome to read it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1msjXweLWSbtlA1lck4vByv6qor50dbIFStENx_K8xvc/edit#heading=h.1k78xre3m8bo

It's definitely wip and you can

_ use it
_ ask questions about it
_ change it
_ throw it away :)

If you have questions about anything you are welcome to ask. I would love
to help in any way ...

Cheers

Andy

--