Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/08/01 00:17:59 UTC

RE: Officially releasing a patch for CVE-2016-1513

[ ... ]
> > I'm preparing the hotfix webpage. For this I've some questions:
> >
> > 1. Do we want to provide zip files for every platform or just single
> > files for the library and other files?
>
> Hmmmm... I assumed we would just be point people directly at
> /dist/release/openoffice/patches.
> (Right now, these are in /dist/dev/openoffice/patches.)
>
> It would be easiest to just setup the hotfix page with three links per
> distro.
>
> Linux32
> * link to Linux32.README
> * link to linux32 libtl.so
> * link to linux32 libtl.so.asc (sig)
>
> etc.
>
> If not, the READMEs I wrote will need to change.
[orcmid]

I recommend there should be single-file (e.g., Zip) distributions, just like all other binaries.  That gives just one thing to download.  The MD5, SHA512, and ASC signatures should be on the whole package and stay in the dev/ and release/ folders, just as they are on download pages.  (The ASC signatures on the individual library-file binaries should be inside the package.)  I suspect, on the dev/ side, we might need copies of the READMEs alongside the archives, and revised more regularly, so they can be reviewed and revised easily as we get QA and trial use.  When we move over to release/ we might want to do the same, even though the README is in the archive, so that people can read it without downloading the package.

Finally, please use README.txt, etc., so that line-ending adjustments will happen properly when folks move these in and out of SVN and also out of archive files.  This will also help browsers when folks retrieve these directly from the repository.

PS: If we are concerned about the README.txt outside of the archive being authenticated, it can have an embedded PGP signature.  (Then the final archive-internal one would be a copy of the signed README.txt -- no biggie, nice chain of custody).

[ ... ]

Re: Officially releasing a patch for CVE-2016-1513

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 08/02/2016 10:04 AM, Marcus wrote:
> [...]

Thank you, Marcus! Much appreciated. I can see I need to change the
numbering scheme I used to be consistent with our others.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

[orcmid]

Indeed it is.  I think there is no question how daunting this might be and we must be very careful with this.

The README.txt cannot be comprehensive for what a casual user might require, and a power user of OpenOffice might not be much of a power user of Windows.  That has to be taken into account.

Is there a suggestion lurking in the observation?

 - Dennis

Re: Officially releasing a patch for CVE-2016-1513

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> For the end user, this is incredibly, painfully more complicated than
> downloading and installing a new version.

It is. We must make clear that this is a "convenience" update made
available to power users, but at the same time state clearly that this
(non-critical) vulnerability will be fixed in the next release. Now the
patch is applied to all active branches, so whatever we release will
surely contain the fix.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Officially releasing a patch for CVE-2016-1513

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.