Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by robottaway <ro...@musiciansfriend.com> on 2006/10/18 01:07:40 UTC

NMS problem

I compiled the head revision of NMS for AMQ today. I included references to
the .dll's NMS and ActiveMQ in a new VS2005 project. I then created a
console app that uses the sample code found here:
http://www.activemq.org/site/nms.html

Everything compiles fine but when the program runs it hangs up. I pass the
connection string tcp://172.16.5.21:61616 which is another machine on my
network which is running AMQ (in ServiceMix). The jars are all 4.02 in the
Smix distro I am using.

It appears from debugging that the problem I have is occurring in the
FutureResponse.cs object. I get into this objects Response method at which
point it cycles again and again. Any ideas out there on what I am doing
incorrectly?

Re: NMS problem

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On 10/18/06, robottaway <ro...@musiciansfriend.com> wrote:

> Sorry James I am just a picky guy :) I know I won't need to do multiple
> connections quickly but I was just pointing it out (and wondering why it
> takes so long to connect with NMS). Is there a way to speed up the
> connection process? With STOMP or the normal JMS AMQ connections are fast.
> Is the protocol in C# just heavier? Or is it C# itself is causing the
> slowness.

The C# client is using the same exact protocol as the JMS client.. so if the
C# stuff seems slower to connect than the java version, then we very likely
are doing something silly in the implementation of the C# client.  Remember
that it was a few Java guys that threw the C# client together!  But we are
starting to get a bunch of C# expert eyes looking at the C# client now which
is very exciting!  So.. in theory, the C# should be as fast as the Java
stuff.  If it's not, please pitch in help us figure out why not!

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: NMS problem

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 10/18/06, robottaway <ro...@musiciansfriend.com> wrote:

> Sorry James I am just a picky guy :) I know I won't need to do multiple
> connections quickly but I was just pointing it out (and wondering why it
> takes so long to connect with NMS). Is there a way to speed up the
> connection process? With STOMP or the normal JMS AMQ connections are fast.
> Is the protocol in C# just heavier? Or is it C# itself is causing the
> slowness.

The NMS cilent should be equivalent to the Java JMS client in terms of
its operations.

FWIW we just changed message acknowledgement to be asynchronous like
the Java client and fixed a couple of bugs with NMS.

> Also would you have an suggestions on my problem with 4.0.1 vs. 4.0.2. 4.0.1
> does not seem to work with the head revision of the C# NMS client. So I will
> need to use AMQ 4.0.2. I am using Servicemix to route data between services
> right now, which relies on AMQ 4.0.1. Could I run a separate instance of AMQ
> 4.0.2 and bridge it to the 4.0.1 instance running in Servicemix? Would this
> be stable/robust/doable for a good size volume of messages?

We should be able to do a release of servicemix with 4.0.2 very soon.
Then again when 4.1 is out :)

--

James
-------

Re: NMS problem

Re: NMS problem

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Am not sure why you seem to be experiencing slowness. Note that with
NMS, CMS and JMS you are meant to create connections, sessions,
producers & consumers on startup, so that things are very fast for
processing individual messages.

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/how-do-i-use-jms-efficiently.html

On 10/18/06, robottaway <ro...@musiciansfriend.com> wrote:

> I checked out the preview release of 4.0.2 and installed it. After running it
> I was able to connect using the newest version of the NMS AMQ client!!! But
> I have a couple of gripes.
>
> First the Servicemix install I am using right now does not ship with a
> version of AMQ that works with the NMS client.
>
> Second it does not seem very fast to connect and send a message. Compared to
> using the Ruby STOMP client to send messages it seems downright slow.
>
> I would like to use the C# client in a very cool project here at work. We
> are implementing a bunch of business processes in an application called
> Axapta. This is a M$ app. I will be able to use the C# client in this
> application so that we can message with our AMQ instance in our Servicemix
> bus. It would be awsome to have the ability to message in Axapta. Right now
> we can do web services and flat files, and external database (but really
> slow).
>
> Any ideas out there on what I could do. Would it make sense to run AMQ 4.0.2
> separate from Servicemix (3.0 release)? I think that I wan't to use the NMS
> client rather than the STOMP in Axapta.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/