Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thomas Harold <th...@nybeta.com> on 2013/08/04 22:44:59 UTC

SVN FSFS format value for 1.8?

According to the release notes:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.8.html#fsfs-enhancements

We should have seen a bump in the FSFS format number to '6' for 1.8.
But when I'm looking at the 'format' file inside the FSFS repository
directory on the server, I'm seeing '5'.

# svnadmin --version
svnadmin, version 1.8.1 (r1503906)
    compiled Jul 17 2013, 10:30:55 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

# svnadmin create /backup/svndump/test3

# cat /backup/svndump/test3/format
5

It makes me think that I still have remnants of 1.7 floating around in
the system (which was previously installed from source).  Even though I
removed the old 'svn*' executables from bin folders and removed the old
'libsvn*' libraries from lib folders.

Re: SVN FSFS format value for 1.8?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 4, 2013, at 21:27, Thomas Harold wrote:

> On 8/4/2013 6:30 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Check the file /backup/svndump/test3/db/format.
>
> # cat /backup/svndump/test3/db/format
> 6
> layout sharded 1000
>
> Okay, so I was looking at the wrong thing.
>
> That still raises the question (in my mind) of why the two values are different on a freshly created repository.
>
> # svnadmin create test4
> # cat test4/format
> 5
> # cat test4/db/format
> 6
> layout sharded 1000
>
> Or is the "format" file in the root used for something else?

Yes, the two files have different purposes.

repo/format describes the format of the repository.

repo/db/format describes the format of the repository filesystem.

http://serverfault.com/questions/277441/difference-between-the-format-and-db-format-files-in-a-subversion-repository

Re: SVN FSFS format value for 1.8?

Posted by Thomas Harold <th...@nybeta.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.