Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Anshuman <am...@verilytics.com> on 2002/01/16 13:44:57 UTC

How can I print using the servlet example ?

Hi All !,

    I was looking at the FOPServlet.java example to get the PDF out of a fo document at the client side. It is great. I was also checking other options and found the PrintStarter.java to print a fo document. Can any one suggest a way to integrate this with the FOPServlet.java so that I can get the print at the client side for a fo document, or suggest some path for the same ?

    Thanx in advance.

with regards,
ASM

Re: Euro sign

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
Patrick Andries wrote:

> Why do I see a bullet instead of a euro sign (EUR), when I simply
> "compile" the fonts.fo file found in the Fop-0.20-2 distribution
> (./docs/examples/fo)?
>
> I am on Windows NT 2000 Professional, all my standard fonts have thus
> a euro sign (me thinks).

You are using the wrong OS and fonts. :-( On Win2k the Euro sign is
mapped to character code 128 (0x80). But according to the ANSI / ISO
8559 standard this character is a non-printable control character. The
standards compliant solution is to use an ISO 8559-15 font (similar with
8559-1 with the single exception that the general currency symbol at
character code 164 (0x164) is now replaced by the Euro symbol). This way
is also compliant with the Unicode standard. Sadly, Microsoft again uses
a proprietary approach. :-[

Sorry, I don't know how to actually solve your problem. Try using an ISO
8559-15 font and use character code 164 instead of 128 and see if this
solves your problem. Maybe just switsching to character code 164 will...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Re: Euro sign

Posted by Patrick Andries <pa...@videotron.ca>.

Patrick Andries wrote:

> Tore Engvig wrote:
>
>>>Why do I see a bullet instead of a euro sign (EUR), when I simply
>>>"compile" the fonts.fo file found in the Fop-0.20-2 distribution
>>>(./docs/examples/fo)?
>>>
>>>I am on Windows NT 2000 Professional, all my standard fonts have thus a
>>>euro sign (me thinks).
>>>

>>If you use embedded fonts, this should not be a problem (unicode value is
>>looked up in cmap),
>>
> If the font is embedded it should indeed work, but technically I'm not
> sure the cmap (which is a TTF or an OT table) is looked up for PS fonts.

I "mispoke" here, there is also one (or more)  Cmap in CID-keyed fonts.

P. Andries

Re: Euro sign

Posted by Patrick Andries <pa...@videotron.ca>.

Tore Engvig wrote:

>>Why do I see a bullet instead of a euro sign (EUR), when I simply
>>"compile" the fonts.fo file found in the Fop-0.20-2 distribution
>>(./docs/examples/fo)?
>>
>>I am on Windows NT 2000 Professional, all my standard fonts have thus a
>>euro sign (me thinks).
>>

>If you use embedded fonts, this should not be a problem (unicode value is
>looked up in cmap),

If the font is embedded it should indeed work, but technically I'm not
sure the cmap (which is a TTF or an OT table) is looked up for PS fonts.

>If I remember correctly, a patch was submitted that added the euro sign to
>the standard fonts. It exists in the cvs version (in the fop-0.20.2-maintain
>branch).

Yes I believe I saw this, it dealt with the definition of the entity
reference &euro;

The problem was related to an old Acrobat reader (3.0) being set as
default. I changed my default reader to a newer version (4.0) and it worked.

Patrick

RE: Euro sign

Posted by Tore Engvig <te...@manamind.com>.
> Why do I see a bullet instead of a euro sign (EUR), when I simply
> "compile" the fonts.fo file found in the Fop-0.20-2 distribution
> (./docs/examples/fo)?
>
> I am on Windows NT 2000 Professional, all my standard fonts have thus a
> euro sign (me thinks).

If you use embedded fonts, this should not be a problem (unicode value is
looked up in cmap), if you use the standard fonts (Helvetica, Times, etc)
this might be a problem.

If I remember correctly, a patch was submitted that added the euro sign to
the standard fonts. It exists in the cvs version (in the fop-0.20.2-maintain
branch).

Tore

Euro sign

Re: How can I print using the servlet example ?

Posted by Ralph LaChance <Ra...@compuserve.com>.
Lets be clear: it depends on ~where~ you want the printing to happen.

In my opinion, given the latest jvm (1.3.x): a servlet, can only print to the
default printer of the host on which the servlet executes.

I don't think there is any way to have the servlet return the pdf rendition
to a client and to direct that client to print the rendition rather than (or
in addition to) displaying it.

At 07:28 PM 1/16/02 +0530, you wrote:
>Hi !,
>
>     Well I know that I can get the pdf rendition to the browser and
> display the same using Acrobat. Then the client can use the print option
> of the Acrobat to print the document. But, in case I want to have a link
> to print the same without displaying the PDF to the client, how can I
> accomplish the same ? Any help is welcome...
>
>with regards,
>ASM

         ' Best,
         -Ralph LaChance

Re: How can I print using the servlet example ?

Posted by Anshuman <am...@verilytics.com>.
Hi !,

Posted by Ralph LaChance <Ra...@compuserve.com>.
At 06:14 PM 1/16/02 +0530, you wrote:

I may misunderstand your intent: -- by ~client~ side do you mean at the
browser ?

If so, I don't think there is anything "normal" you could do from a servlet
to directly print out at the client other than to send a pdf rendition to
the browser, where it
displays via the acrobat plugin and then the user hits the print
button/menu.  I
suppose there are various heroics one could perform to get more -- but I
wouldn't
go there  ;-)

>Hi All !,
>
>     I was looking at the FOPServlet.java example to get the PDF out of a
> fo document at the client side. It is great. I was also checking other
> options and found the PrintStarter.java to print a fo document. Can any
> one suggest a way to integrate this with the FOPServlet.java so that I
> can get the print at the client side for a fo document, or suggest some
> path for the same ?
>
>     Thanx in advance.
>

>with regards,
>ASM