Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Marcel Casado <ma...@ucar.edu> on 2006/12/01 20:29:31 UTC

out of memory issues. Can MTOM help ?

Hi,

I have a service that extracts data from a sql table and builds objects
from the results and then sends them back to the client. I use ADB but
I'm running out of memory for large query results.  I'm running the
service onTomcat and I setup setenv JAVA_OPTS "-Xmx1024m -Xms1024m"
.What  I can do for large soap body messages ? Should the use of  MTOM
help me whit memory problems? Does any body an example of using MTOM to
handle big XML objects ?

I already took a look to the MTOM tutorial but is still not clear to me
if this will solve the problem.

Thanks,

Marcel

Re: out of memory issues. Can MTOM help ?

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Yes.. You can send your XML objects as attachments using MTOM without
running in to memory problems (make sure to enable file caching in the
receiving side.).. But the issue with using that approach is, then you
no longer adhere to the schema defined in the WSDL or in other words
you cannot describe the XML using schema.. You will be sending an
arbitrary XML object using MTOM...
HTH,
~Thilina

On 12/2/06, Marcel Casado <ma...@ucar.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a service that extracts data from a sql table and builds objects
> from the results and then sends them back to the client. I use ADB but
> I'm running out of memory for large query results.  I'm running the
> service onTomcat and I setup setenv JAVA_OPTS "-Xmx1024m -Xms1024m"
> .What  I can do for large soap body messages ? Should the use of  MTOM
> help me whit memory problems? Does any body an example of using MTOM to
> handle big XML objects ?
>
> I already took a look to the MTOM tutorial but is still not clear to me
> if this will solve the problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcel

Thilina Gunarathne
WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
Home page: http://webservices.apache.org/~thilina/
Blog: http://thilinag.blogspot.com/

Re: out of memory issues. Can MTOM help ?

Posted by Jon Carmignani <jc...@rhinocorps.com>.
Phillipp and Marcel,

Make sure you know where the out of memory error is occurring.  With a
web service, you could be getting it on the client side as well as the
service side depending on how you log it.  Also, I've run into issues
using TCP Mon in between the two when it runs out of memory.  I solved
that by upping the  heap space as Marcel suggested on all parties involved.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Posted by Philipp Perner <ph...@healthgate.at>.
Hi,