Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by nj...@speakeasy.net on 2002/06/20 18:48:32 UTC

HELP! problems

Hi,
I've posted this a few times and am trying one last time. When I run my .war file in a regular 4.0.3 server, using an <auth-method> of either BASIC or FORM, it works fine. However, if I run it in an embedded version of the same server, I get errors. With BASIC, the browser never shows the dialog, but just fails the login immediately. That is, it calls the "Principal authenticate (String username, String credentials)" right away, without even putting up the dialog. It then prints the following error to the log:
HttpProcessor[8080][4] process.invokeInvalid user ID

With the FORM login, a successful login caused the browser to redirect to one of the image files on the login page, rather than to the welcome page. An unsuccessful login fails to bring up the specified <form-error-page>.

Either I'm misconfiguring something, or embedded Tomcat is EXTREMELY buggy when it comes to <login-config> implementation. BTW I did upgrade to 4.0.4 and the same problems happened. I'm using the o.a.c.startup.Embedded class, and am following the directions described in James Goodwill's Apache Jakarta-Tomcat book (with the correct .jar files that he lists in his article.)

Has anyone had any experience with this?  I really do need some help here, I'm on a pretty scary deadline.

Thanks!
Noah

p.s. I will my web.xml file to anyone who asks, just didn't want to clutter up your mailbox right away.