Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/10/31 22:09:01 UTC

ApacheCON, board Report, release cycle, etc

ApacheCON US (http://www.us.apachecon.com/) is less than two weeks
away.  I'm not going this year (at least at the moment), but have
enjoyed the last 3 ApacheCON US's.

The monthly board meeting is in the middle of ApacheCON and Logging
Services quarterly report is due for the meeting.  In the past, a
pending board report has been an impetus to get a release out,
conclude a vote or some other action.  I've been focusing on
finishing that last essential items before cutting a log4cxx release
candidate, but don't expect to beat the reporting deadline.  I also
would not want to get distracted on log4j releases or development
until I get through the log4cxx push.

I did push component, receivers, etc to release since I expected
Chainsaw to be pushing for a release and they'd be done
simultaneously.  However, there has been no chainsaw commits since
the log4j 1.2.15 release.  I think we should at least get the
temporary encoding fix on UTF-8's and we need address the tarball/
webstart/apache release process issue, but I don't know what other
items are blocking a Chainsaw 2.0 release.  Maybe we can talk about
it here and then someone can log a bug report for the release and
connect the blocking issues.

I would assume that we'd do log4j 1.2.16, extras 1.1 and jul-log4j-
bridge at the same time.

Despite wishful thinking, I didn't have any plans to try to address
the "Unrecognized element plugin" issue.  You don't want to put
Scheduler and the like in log4j 1.2.x and I'd like to avoid having
log4j 1.2 know about the "plugin" element and then do some reflection
tricks to load "component".  However, I guess "component" could
provide a class that could be used with the -
Dlog4j.configurationClass option that would replace the logger
repository with a plugin aware one and then delegate to
DOMConfigurator or PropertyConfigurator depending on the file extension.

Re: ApacheCON, board Report, release cycle, etc

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

> I did push component, receivers, etc to release since I expected
> Chainsaw to be pushing for a release and they'd be done
> simultaneously.  However, there has been no chainsaw commits since
> the log4j 1.2.15 release.  I think we should at least get the
> temporary encoding fix on UTF-8's and we need address the tarball/
> webstart/apache release process issue, but I don't know what other
> items are blocking a Chainsaw 2.0 release.  Maybe we can talk about
> it here and then someone can log a bug report for the release and
> connect the blocking issues.

I'm hoping to have a crack at the encoding issue today.  I don't think
there's anything else pressing other than the release process itself.

> I would assume that we'd do log4j 1.2.16, extras 1.1 and jul-log4j-
> bridge at the same time.

Sounds good.

Paul