Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de> on 2020/07/07 08:48:08 UTC

Follow-Up: ORB Dependencies and Java 11

Hi,

I was digging around the GitHub Repo and noticed PR 664 [1], which
tries to prepare TomEE to be build with JDK 11 but CORBA was removed in
JDK 11.

There was a disucssion 2 years ago about removing CORBA related access
[2]. There even exist a JIRA (TOMEE-2324) for it [3].

If we want to build TomEE with JDK 11, we either need to (a) remove
CORBA dependencies (and check the implications as suggested in TOMEE-
2324) or (b) add the CORBA API / IMPL back (e.g. via "jacorb" [4] or
via the glassfish api/impl ("glassfish-corba-orb" [5]).

What is the plan for this? Any opinions? :)

Best,
Richard

[1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/664
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tomee.apache.org/msg08054.html
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/TOMEE/issues/TOMEE-2324
[4] https://www.jacorb.org/
[5] https://javaee.github.io/glassfish-corba/

Re: Follow-Up: ORB Dependencies and Java 11

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi all,

I found some time creating the classes via ASM, see PR
https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/713

Happy to retrieve feedback on it.

Best
Richard

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard!

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/container/openejb-jpa-integration/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/jpa/integration/MakeTxLookup.java <https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/container/openejb-jpa-integration/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/jpa/integration/MakeTxLookup.java>

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tomee.apache.org/msg08054.html[2]

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
I’d be quite surprised if any new applications are developed using CORBA and I’d suspect any existing applications are at companies with ${big} support contracts and little interest in migrating.  I don’t know much about users of TomEE however.

Generally jax-rs is an easier to deal with solution nowadays.

David Jencks

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
Hello ,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi Daniel,

CORBA is an acronym for "Common Object Request Broker Architecture" - a
standard defined by the Object Management Group (OMG) published in 1991
(rather legacy) and which evolves outside the Java Community Process.

You can find some more details about it (and the motivation why it was
removed in Java 11 in JEP 320 [1]. Oracle provides a more (code-driven)
introduction to the topic [2].

I hope, this provides some insights into this (ancient) technology :).

Best,
Richard

[1] https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/320
[2]
https://www.oracle.com/technical-resources/articles/javase/rmi-corba.html

Am Dienstag, den 07.07.2020, 09:33 -0300 schrieb Daniel Dias Dos
Santos:

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.
Hello Richard,