Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net> on 2011/07/20 01:59:06 UTC

AllowOverride list is incomplete

Hello, folks;
   I wanted to plant a bug in everyone's ear about an issue I came
across. I'll open a formal bug and a final list of what is and is not
allowed when time permits. I have found that the documentation (example:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/core.html#allowoverride) provides
an incomplete list of directives permitted by the four AllowOverride
options.

The bug I wanted to plant is to get opinions/thoughts on...
   *How should this be organized and presented? I can foresee that this
could get "cluttery" for AllowOverride documentation.
   *Should we try to document all directives? As things are
added/removed the list could get out of sync easily.
   *I think it's a good idea to ad a note that the AllowOverride
documentation can't possibly cover directives for 3rd party modules that
have overrides.
   *Maybe The Right Thing to do is to implement something in mod_info
that will show the overrides and point documentation there?

As an example and why I brought this up:
23 directives are called out in the documentation for AllowOverride
FileInfo, but in my research, I found these 45 directives outside of
core and in the modules directory.

   mod_charset_lite
CharsetSourceEnc
CharsetDefault
CharsetOptions

   mod_mime
AddCharset
AddEncoding
AddHandler
AddInputFilter
AddLanguage
AddOutputFilter
AddType
DefaultLanguage
MultiviewsMatch
RemoveCharset
RemoveEncoding
RemoveHandler
RemoveInputFilter
RemoveLanguage
RemoveOutputFilter
RemoveType

    mod_actions
Action

   mod_alias
Redirect
RedirectMatch
RedirectTemp
RedirectPermanent

   mod_negotiation
LanguagePriority
ForceLanguagePriority

   mod_rewrite
RewriteEngine
RewriteOptions
RewriteBase
RewriteCond
RewriteRule

   mod_env
PassEnv
SetEnv
UnsetEnv

   mod_headers
Header
RequestHeader

   mod_setenvif
SetEnvIf
SetEnvIfNoCase
BrowserMatch
BrowserMatchNoCase

   mod_usertrack
CookieExpires
CookieDomain
CookieStyle
CookieTracking
CookieName

Daniel Ruggeri

Re: AllowOverride list is incomplete

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net>.
On 7/21/2011 3:15 PM, Igor Galić wrote:
> http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/
>
> IIRC, wrowe's mod_cmds can do that now - we could steal the code and
> put it in mod_info -- mod_cmds as such is very limited in usability
> Because it's output really blows :-/
That would make this pretty trivial to implement if that's right. I'll
stick this on my todo list and will dig into as soon as time permits.
Thank you for the link!

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: AllowOverride list is incomplete

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
> [...]

> The bug I wanted to plant is to get opinions/thoughts on...
>    *How should this be organized and presented? I can foresee that this could get "cluttery" for AllowOverride documentation.
>    *Should we try to document all directives? As things are added/removed the list could get out of sync easily.
>    *I think it's a good idea to ad a note that the AllowOverride documentation can't possibly cover directives for 3rd party modules that have overrides.
>    *Maybe The Right Thing to do is to implement something in mod_info that will show the overrides and point documentation there?
>

> As an example and why I brought this up:
> 23 directives are called out in the documentation for AllowOverride FileInfo, but in my research, I found these 45 directives outside of core and in the modules directory.

Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com
rbowen@apache.org