Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Leho Kraav <le...@kraav.com> on 2013/04/15 11:59:08 UTC

git-svn - how to fix "fetch" for /incubator -> / move

Hey all

After having been fetching the initial history from url =
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/trunk that
obviously will not work anymore for bloodhound having moved to TLP status.

bloodhound.git $ [git:master?] git svn fetch
W: Filesystem has no item:
'/repos/asf/!svn/bc/1467919/incubator/bloodhound/trunk' path not found
at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.4/Git/SVN.pm line 153

Has anyone here solved how to continue fetching from the TLP path while
keeping the incubated history as well?
https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnSwitch didn't work for me
because git svn fetch doesn't seem to find that "one new revision".
StackOverflow didn't have any extra magic on top of the wiki, either.

Re: git-svn - how to fix "fetch" for /incubator -> / move

Posted by Leho Kraav <le...@kraav.com>.
On 15.04.2013 13:14, Branko Čibej wrote:

> I don't believe there are any Git wizards around here; but we now have a
> mirror of the Subversion repository on github, see:
>
>      https://github.com/apache/bloodhound
>
> You may want to clone that instead of using git-svn. The mirror appears
> to have the complete history.

Yeehaw.

And First! (star on github)

Re: git-svn - how to fix "fetch" for /incubator -> / move

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 4/19/13, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 19.04.2013 18:23, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> On 4/15/13, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> On 15.04.2013 17:14, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Should be real-time, yes. It runs off svnpubsub.
>>>
>> I thought I could figure this out by myself , but I couldn't and thereby I
>> ask :
>>
>>   - While using git mirror how can I map git to svn changesets ?
>>
>> e.g. something similar to hgsubversion's `hg log -r <nodeid>
>> --template="{svnrev}\n"`
>
> Look at the commit logs, they have git-svn-id tags which can be parsed
> to find the original revision.

Actually this is what I was doing

{{{
#!sh

$ git svn find-rev HEAD
1469760

$ git svn find-rev r1468583
Unable to determine upstream SVN information from HEAD history

$ git rebase --onto remotes/origin/trunk --root trunk
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Fast-forwarded trunk to remotes/origin/trunk.

$ git svn find-rev HEAD
1469760

$ git svn find-rev r1468583
Unable to determine upstream SVN information from HEAD history

}}}

So it seems svn node ID resolution is not working as expected or (more
probable) I'm doing something wrong o.O

btw

{{{
#!sh

$ git branch -a
* trunk
  remotes/origin/0.1
  remotes/origin/0.2
  remotes/origin/0.3
  remotes/origin/0.4
  remotes/origin/0.5
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/trunk
  remotes/origin/bep_0003_multiproduct
  remotes/origin/trunk

}}}

Olemis.

Re: git-svn - how to fix "fetch" for /incubator -> / move

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 19.04.2013 18:23, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 4/15/13, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On 15.04.2013 17:14, Olemis Lang wrote:
> [...]
>>> btw , how often is the git clone updated ? real-time ?
>> Should be real-time, yes. It runs off svnpubsub.
>>
> I thought I could figure this out by myself , but I couldn't and thereby I ask :
>
>   - While using git mirror how can I map git to svn changesets ?
>
> e.g. something similar to hgsubversion's `hg log -r <nodeid>
> --template="{svnrev}\n"`

Look at the commit logs, they have git-svn-id tags which can be parsed
to find the original revision.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

Re: git-svn - how to fix "fetch" for /incubator -> / move

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 15.04.2013 17:14, Olemis Lang wrote:
> @brane : we have been discussing before about connecting the
> repository browser with the instance of Bloodhound deployed in
> i.a.o/bh . Now that there's a git clone I wonder whether we could
> clone it in BH VM and use Git connector instead ? ... at least as long
> as support for remote svn repositories (i.e. #478) is not available /
> tested / ...

Not off-topic at all, and I don't see why we shouldn't do that. Good idea.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 4/15/13, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 15.04.2013 15:59, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> On 4/15/13, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> On 15.04.2013 11:59, Leho Kraav wrote:
[...]
>>>     https://github.com/apache/bloodhound
>>>
>>> You may want to clone that instead of using git-svn. The mirror appears
>>> to have the complete history.

[...]

<ot>
@brane : we have been discussing before about connecting the
repository browser with the instance of Bloodhound deployed in
i.a.o/bh .

Now that there's a git clone I wonder whether we could clone it in BH
VM and use Git connector instead ? ... at least as long as support for
remote svn repositories (i.e. #478) is not available / tested / ...

</ot>

btw , how often is the git clone updated ? real-time ?

> Let me point out that the SVN history is intact. If you "svn log"
> current trunk, you'll find that you'll see all revisions up to r1229643,
> when BH trunk was created -- even though it was moved in the meantime.
>
> If git-svn and hg clone cannot follow SVN history correctly, all I can
> say is that there's room for improvement in those tools.

Yes , that's a fact ; as it is that hgsubversion devs are not keen to
add this feature because of a reason I do not really understand .

Anyway , there's another way to work around this lack of support in
hgsubversion conversion tool : hg-git

Thanks for the pointer .

Olemis.

Re: git-svn - how to fix "fetch" for /incubator -> / move

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 4/15/13, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 15.04.2013 11:59, Leho Kraav wrote:
>> Hey all
>>

>> After having been fetching the initial history from url =
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/trunk that
>> obviously will not work anymore for bloodhound having moved to TLP
>> status.
>>
>> bloodhound.git $ [git:master?] git svn fetch
>> W: Filesystem has no item:
>> '/repos/asf/!svn/bc/1467919/incubator/bloodhound/trunk' path not found
>> at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.4/Git/SVN.pm line 153
>>
>> Has anyone here solved how to continue fetching from the TLP path
>> while keeping the incubated history as well?
>> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnSwitch didn't work for me
>> because git svn fetch doesn't seem to find that "one new revision".
>> StackOverflow didn't have any extra magic on top of the wiki, either.
>
> I don't believe there are any Git wizards around here; but we now have a
> mirror of the Subversion repository on github, see:
>
>     https://github.com/apache/bloodhound
>
> You may want to clone that instead of using git-svn. The mirror appears
> to have the complete history.

I'm experiencing a similar issue with my hg clone [1]_ , so I wander
how is it that you could ( merge | continue ) history after graduation
move ? Any hints ? It's really frustrating to have split history .

.. [1] Continue repository history if SVN root is SVN moved - Google Groups
        (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/hgsubversion/GDXv6CRt_ok)

Olemis.

Apache™ Bloodhound contributor
http://issues.apache.org/bloodhound

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: git-svn - how to fix "fetch" for /incubator -> / move

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.