Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/10 09:40:26 UTC

I'm missing profiles.xml

Hi,

just opening a several years old project, which was written for Maven
2 before 3.0 and is making heavy use of profiles.xml.
Reminds me how much I am missing this feature: Local profiles used to
be the most obvious, easiest to use place for
local customizations like configuring a database URL or stuff like
that. My own appreciation of Maven became significantly
lower with the removal of that feature.

Now, I am not asking to readd that feature, but I am wondering whether
it wouldn't be possible to reintroduce it just for me by enabling a
Maven extension or plugin that supports it.

Any hints on how I could implement that?

Thanks in advance,

Jochen

--
"Bildung kommt von Bildschirm und nicht von Buch, sonst hieße es ja Buchung."
Dieter Hildebrandt

Re: I'm missing profiles.xml

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> I only have those profiles in my projects. The only profile I have in my settings.xml is for enabling staging repos.
>
> Do you have a sample so we get an idea what you try to solve?

Mark, you're getting me wrong. I am not trying to discussing the
decision to remove profiles.
I am simply asking for help in getting them working again here.

What I do is quite simple: My test suite is accessing a database. And
the JDBC URL is
specified in a property, which was previously defined in a
profiles.xml file. That worked
very well and has been understood and appreciated by all colleagues. Which is no
longer the case with the move to settings.xml.

Jochen

Re: I'm missing profiles.xml

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I only have those profiles in my projects. The only profile I have in my settings.xml is for enabling staging repos.

Do you have a sample so we get an idea what you try to solve?

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: I'm missing profiles.xml