Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Polites <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/08 14:18:15 UTC

Tomcat hprof empty file

Hi all,

I am running Tomcat 5.5.23 on a Win32 platform as an NT Service, with the
native DLL.

I am experiencing the CPU spinning at 100% in our production environment,
which is not something I have seen in our dev or staging env.  In order to
determine the problem area, I have tried running Tomcat with hprof using the
following JVM option:

-Xrunhprof:cpu=samples,thread=y

I am setting this in the Java options tab of the Windows service dialog.  I
get a java.hprof.txt file created in the root tomcat directory, but there is
nothing in it other than the standard intro text.

This works when I run tomcat locally within eclipse (same tomcat version);
but when running in production I get no data!

This is really frustrating as I can't fix the CPU problem because I can't
identify it.

Help!

Thanks.

Re: Tomcat hprof empty file

Posted by Jason Polites <ja...@gmail.com>.
I think I "may" have found the cause of the problem with HPROF.  A
CTRL+BREAK (on win32) is what triggers the dump of the hprof data to a text
file, but when running Tomcat as a win32 service it automatically sets the
-Xrs JVM option which causes the JVM to ignore these signals from the OS
(this is required to prevent Tomcat from dying when the console user logs
off.. which triggers a CTRL+C from Windows).

That, plus this obscure
reference<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2634/6n4tl5koa?a=view>which
states:

"Do not use the -Xrs flag."

But does not really explain why.

So if I assume the hprof data is not being dumped because of the -Xrs
command, then I need to run Tomcat without this.  Of course this creates a
serious problem for me as I need it to run for a while so I get accurate
telemetry, and of course I can't log off the console otherwise the process
will die, but I am using remote desktop which will automatically log me off
after a timeout.

Might try vnc

Anyone got any other bright ideas?

Re: Tomcat hprof empty file