Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/26 21:51:49 UTC

AOO "long-term support" ?

Hi,

I wonder if the ´new management´ at AOO ;) has any plans with regards to
´long term support´ for AOO?.

I mean... it´d be nice if we knew in advance that AOO 3.4.x will be
supported (bugfixes-stability and security issues if any) for the next ´x´
years.

Or just how long each version is supported (say, if an AOO 4.0 is released,
for how long AOO 3.4x will continue having security fixes, etc).

Not that I have any worries or needs on the particular... I was just
thinking about Ubuntu´s "LTS" releases scheme and the thought crossed my
mind if AOO project leaders had something like that in mind, or the talk of
release lifetime was ever thojught or even discussed...

So, I´m all ears. ;)
FC

act
- George Orwell

Re: AOO "long-term support" ?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
This is an excellent question. I can only say that other projects at Apache do this - on example is Apache Tomcat. Tomcat currently supports three releases:

- 5.5.x which is EOL December of this year. [1]
- 6.0.x
- 7.0.x

Since Tomcat 5.5.x is a dependency of AOO 3.4.x we need to be aware of this in our dependency discussion.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-55-eol.html

Re: AOO "long-term support" ?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if the ´new management´ at AOO ;) has any plans with regards to
> ´long term support´ for AOO?.

We've discussed this topic previously.  You'll read more if you search
the list archives for "LTS".

IMHO the point of LTS is that someone can deploy and expect not to be
surprised by new bugs for a period of time.   They can expect to do
light maintenance, with patches, but the project will try hard to
avoid introducing any incompatibilities for that stream.

One hurdle we have currently is that we require a complete download
and install for revision.  We have no patch or incremental update
mechanism.  So maintenance is not quite what users would expect in an
LTS situation.

I think we need to resolve that issue before we can effectively make
any kind of LTS statements.

-Rob