Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> on 2015/03/06 18:15:29 UTC

Re: can we remove ant build.xml in maven core?

Hi,

I'm co-maintaining the Maven package in Debian and I'd like to mention
that the Ant bootstrap is also used in the build process. I'd be very
grateful if you could keep maintaining it, the Maven packaging is
already quite difficult (we are blocked on the 3.0.5-> 3.1.1 upgrade)
and removing the Ant script is likely to be disrupting.

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.
I don't want to change this so close to 3.3.0 release, but I plan to
rework build.xml to delegate actual build to existing maven
installation. Ant will only do "extract-assembly". This way we will have
single maven build and Olivier will still be able use "ant all" to build
and install maven with one command.

Whether this will make it easier or harder to maintain maven debian
package, I don't know.

Igor

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Hi Emmanuel,

How can we help the Debian community? Is there some ML or pointer to the way
you're doing the re-packaging?

Notice that 3.1.1 is not a great choice: this was really an interim version
between 3.0.x and 3.2.x. IMHO, you'd better stay with 3.0.x or switch to
3.2.x. The only fundamental change between 3.1.1 and 3.2.0 is switch to Java
6: is this change an issue for Debian?

Regards,

Hervé