Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/03 23:53:29 UTC

[TRINIDAD] Portlet API and Portlet Bridge API Dependencies

Hey all,

First off, I would like to thank the people recently who have shown an
interrest in running Trindiad with Portlet environment.  I've had a
laundry list of things to do as of late and, in true community fashion,
you are helping me evolve Trinidad to comply with the latest bridge.  Yay!!

I did, however, want to write a quick note and get some community
feedback on a misunderstanding that has arose lately about Trinidad's
dependency on the Portlet 1.0 API and the MyFaces Portlet Bridge.  The
Portlet and Portlet Bridge API's are included in Trinidad's POM files.
They are needed to compile the project, and this is unavoidable to a
large extent because we have tried to build in a portlet solution.  To
date, however, Trinidad's code is implemented in such a fashion that if
it is deployed into an environment or an application WITHOUT these API's
(like Tomcat or Jetty), the code will run without getting a
ClassNotFound exception.  Instead the Portlet usecases are simply
ignored and no classes which contain references to portlet objects
(directly) are loaded.

I believe we want to continue to make the existence of the Portlet and
Portlet Bridge API's optional at runtime.  As a developer for Oracle
(whose current application solution uses Trinidad as a foundation), our
ide does not currently include the portal apis when you say you want a
Trinidad project.  The Portal and portal bridge are included only if
your container supports a portal.  The last thing I want to do is force
people who have existing applications to have to include several new
API's in their webapps, especially because the Portlet Bridge code is
still in beta and in the near future I hope to have support for both
Portlet 1.0 AND Portlet 2.0.

Do people agree with this or am I off base?  Any questions with how this
works?

Scott

Re: [TRINIDAD] Portlet API and Portlet Bridge API Dependencies

Posted by Felix Roethenbacher <fr...@apache.org>.
Scott O'Bryan wrote:
> Hey Felix, thanks for chiming in.
>
> Quite possibly that would be a good suggestion.  I'm not sure I even
> know the lifecycle of an "optional" dependency.  If it's avaialble
> during compile time then absolutely, but my assumption was that
> "optional" dependencies were based on whether the library was avaialble
> or not.  It always needs to be available during compile time.

To my understanding a dependency marked as optional might or might not
be available at runtime. It's always available at compile time.
A dependency with scope 'provided' (the current scope of the
portlet-bridge and portlet dependencies) though will always be available
at runtime provided by runtime environment.

> BTW- Can you test the patch I submitted for TRINIDAD-1376 to make sure
> it solves all of the related issues in your portlet environment?  I
> think I fixed the issues you were having but I wanted to be sure before
> committing.

Tested with Pluto and Websphere Portal. Please see my notes in JIRA.

Thanks for your efforts.

- Felix

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Roethenbacher <fr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
I guess the base bug TRINIDAD-1276 has a link to all the other bugs
where the discussion has popped up.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

--