Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by zirconx <ry...@stillnet.org> on 2009/04/13 04:28:10 UTC

How to tell how much memory each web application is using?

I'm very new to Tomcat and the Java world in general.  I have Tomcat setup
and am running several java web apps on it (Adobe ColdFusion, Railo, and
BlueDragon).  I'd like to see how much memory each of these applications is
using.  Is that possible?

I've installed Lambda Probe, and it gives me a lot of interesting
information, including how much memory Tomcat is using inside the heap, etc.
But I don't see anywhere where it breaks down how much each application is
using.  Is this possible?

Thanks.

RE: How to tell how much memory each web application is using?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: zirconx [mailto:ryan@stillnet.org]
> Subject: How to tell how much memory each web application is using?
>
> I'd like to see how much memory each of these
> applications is using.  Is that possible?

Not easily.  There's just the one heap for the JVM, and it's shared by all webapps and Tomcat internal operations.  In theory, you could use jhat to go through a heap dump and find out all the objects that are reachable from another object, but it would be quite tedious.

The easier approach is to deploy only one application, run whatever test you want, then measure heap usage.  Repeat for each webapp.  Also measure the usage with no apps (or just the manager) to get a baseline.

 - Chuck