Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ge...@iacnet.com on 1998/02/27 15:20:48 UTC

Reverse proxy-server a buzzword which should show up in Apache Doc's

There is a buzzword used in marketting material which I feel should show up
in the Apache Doc's, at least in the description of the ProxyPass directive of
mod_proxy,
so that people using web search engines to find software solutions will be able
to find it.

The buzzword is Reverse Proxy Server, which means that instead of a proxy to
allow
browsers inside a firewall to get to web servers on the internet you want to
allow browsers
on the internet to get to certain web servers inside your firewall.

This is mentioned in http://www.ositis.com/
and http://www.netscape.com/comprod/server_central/product/proxy/
and http://www.microsoft.com/proxy/

Re: Reverse proxy-server a buzzword which should show up in Apache Doc's

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> I like APAPI. It has a certain ring to it.

I will no doubt be made to regret writing this, but it is euphonious
with Apache, and the phoneme pattern is reminiscent of that of
some Amerindian tongues.

+1 (well, I proposed it after all ;-)

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/

Re: Reverse proxy-server a buzzword which should show up in Apache Doc's

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 01:59 PM 2/27/98 -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >+1 on making a buzzword for the Apache API.  +1 on buzzifying mod_perl and
> >mod_php ;)
>
> PSI - Paradigm Shifting Interface.
>
> BTI - Bengali Typhoon Interface?  (Dean will get this)
>
> ERMCISHP - Extensible Robust Mission-Critical Interface for Shiny Happy
> People.

I like APAPI. It has a certain ring to it.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Reverse proxy-server a buzzword which should show up in Apache Doc's

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 01:59 PM 2/27/98 -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>+1 on making a buzzword for the Apache API.  +1 on buzzifying mod_perl and
>mod_php ;)

PSI - Paradigm Shifting Interface.

BTI - Bengali Typhoon Interface?  (Dean will get this)

ERMCISHP - Extensible Robust Mission-Critical Interface for Shiny Happy
People.

	Nrian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com

Re: Reverse proxy-server a buzzword which should show up in Apache Doc's

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.