Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Götz Lohmann <go...@mrblackrose.de> on 2004/10/01 18:38:42 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Directorylisting files root:wheel

Remco Bressers schrieb:

> Alright,.. I've got a backup server running rsyncd and 2TB of storage.
> I'm doing backups of several Unix machines on this server. As u may
> know, rsync keeps all original permissions (hurray!)..
>
> I am now building a webinterface, to let the support folks overhere
> scroll through the backups and ALSO download stuff from the backups.
> There are (ofcourse) several files owned by root and only readable by
> root so i need Apache to read them..  (maybe some wrapper or anything?!)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Remco

just some silly ideas ..
1. make another user named "fakeroot" and a cron script which replace all
usernames from "root" to "fakeroot"
2. maybe some workaround with chroot ?
3. maybe a script which copys files to tmp with other permissions so that
it could be downloaded if needed (using sudo or su -c)
4. same as 3 but zip it before delivering so that the zip file has other
permissions and could be downloaded (also helpfull if someone want's an
entire directory