Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Saimon Moore <sa...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2001/10/22 21:37:04 UTC

'Workflow/Tasks/Transactions' was (Re: Upgrading App/TDK to use CVS HEAD)

> I'll be playing around with Torque tonight to fix the glitch you had. Just
> confering with Dan to try and merge the two sets of torque tasks.

Thanks ;)

Now off on another note...

As I mentioned before, I'm in the design phase of my project and I've been
thinking about the use of some sort of 'workflow' for certain user tasks
(transactions) that need to be completed which may involve multiple 'actions'
in the turbine sense and which need to be completed not necesarrily in order
(or perhaps so) and may be completed at various times (i.e. the user doesn't
have to complete the task within the one session).

I've thought about creating global 'Task' objects through 'TaskFactory' which
read in the individual actions required to complete the task and then keep a
record of wether the 'actions' were completed or not until all tasks have
been succesfully completed in which case they fire off a 'TaskCompletedEvent'
to any registered listeners which can go off and do something else based on
this transaction being completed.

The idea is once an action (which is involved in a 'task' has been initiated
then a 'Task' object (with app scope) is generated for each user and 'lives'
until the transaction/task has been completed. The whole point is that if the
'task' has not been completed then other 'tasks' or certain individual
'actions' cannot be executed by the user (ie.e no permission to do so) until
the particular 'task' has been fully completed. This 'task'-'task',
'task-'action' dependancy could be defined in an xml file on a 'role' basis.
I.e. applicable to users of a certain role and not to others...

Thus when a user logs in , they could hit a 'View Tasks' button and if any
'Task' objects exist for that user then a list is presented with
non-clickable 'actions completed' and clickable 'actions to be completed'.
There also could be 'various tasks' for each user.

What do you think? Has anyone implemented something like this? It'd be great
to hear any comments or suggestions...

Saimon

Re: 'Workflow/Tasks/Transactions' was (Re: Upgrading App/TDK to use CVS HEAD)

Posted by Saimon Moore <sa...@yahoo.co.uk>.
> There is the start of a workflow project in the commons that is similar
> to this.
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/workflow/

This looks like the ticket... ;)

> I think that Jason checked a service into the 3.0 version of Fulcrum for
> it as well.

I've checked out fulcrum and no sign of it there...

If there's such a service, that's great if not, I'll look into writing one
(love a good challenge ;) )

Posted by Kurt Schrader <ks...@engin.umich.edu>.
On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 03:37 PM, Saimon Moore wrote:

> As I mentioned before, I'm in the design phase of my project and I've
> been
> thinking about the use of some sort of 'workflow' for certain user tasks
> (transactions) that need to be completed which may involve multiple
> 'actions'
> in the turbine sense and which need to be completed not necesarrily in
> order
> (or perhaps so) and may be completed at various times (i.e. the user
> doesn't
> have to complete the task within the one session).

There is the start of a workflow project in the commons that is similar
to this.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/workflow/

I think that Jason checked a service into the 3.0 version of Fulcrum for
it as well.

-Kurt