Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Erin O'Neill <eo...@stanford.edu> on 2004/03/11 23:30:53 UTC

Error on JSP-examples - Tomcat 5

Hello all -
I'm new to tomcat and it is driving me up the wall! I've followed the
instructions/tutorial to get it up and running. I'm installing tomcat
5.0.19 on a solaris machine (OS 2.8 with patches), Apache 2.0.48. Java
is  1.4.2_03-b02. Apache is up and running basic html, perl cgi & php cgi
scripts.

Due to google and some good websites, I've actually gotten as far as to get
to the manager page and I've been able to run some of the examples. The
first basic ones all work (pretty exciting to even get to this point). But
then things start to fall apart.
1. JSP 2.0 Examples all run (arthimatic ... functions)
2. Simple Tag Handling:
         1. Hello World Tag works.
         2. Repeat tag fails with:
HTTP Status: 500
exception:

javax.servlet.ServletException: _jspx_page_context
         org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:864)
         org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:800)
         org.apache.jsp.jsp2.tagfiles.panel_jsp._jspService(panel_jsp.java:62)
         org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:133)
         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)

         3. Book Example works fine
3. Tag Files
         1. hello world tag - works fine
         2. Panel tag file - same error as above:
         4. Display Products Example - same error as above.

4. New JSP XML Syntax
         1. XHTML Basic example - same error as above
         2. SVG (didn't test)
5. Other JSP 2.0 Features
         1. <jsp:attribute> and ... - worked
         2. shuffle example - same error as above
         3. attributes with Dynamic names - worked        4. JSP
configuration - a NEW ERROR:
(background: $CATALINA_HOME, $JAVA_HOME have been set. From googling this
problem I also set a PATH & a CLASSPATH. the start up script. I followed
the instructions of copying the
tools.jar from the directory they recommended to the common/lib directory.
I've stopped and started tomcat. I've rebooted the computer. Nothing seems
to work. I must have a configuration error??

CLASSPATH=.:/usr/local/tomcat/common/lib:/usr/j2se:/usr/j2se/lib:$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/common/lib/tools.jar:
PATH=/usr/java/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/java/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:

EXCEPTION ERROR FROM TOMCAT:

No Java compiler was found to compile the generated source for the JSP.
This can usually be solved by copying manually $JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar
from the JDK
to the common/lib directory of the Tomcat server, followed by a Tomcat
restart.
If using an alternate Java compiler, please check its installation and
access path.

         org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:127)
         org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:351)
         org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:415)
         org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:458)
         org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:439)
         org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:552)
         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:291)
         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:301)
         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:248)
         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)

I did the following tutorial to get tomcat
running:http://volume1.coreservlets.com/Apache-Tomcat-Tutorial.html

Any thoughts on what I may have wrong??

thanks,
erin