Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2011/10/28 20:00:42 UTC

Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Hi Terry,

Sorry, you are having difficulty with ooo-marketing.

On Oct 27, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Terry wrote:

> This is what I attempted twice to post to the marketing list.  Someone on that list provided a longish list of OOo urls.
>
> The openoffice.org domains are a jungle.

Most of these extra domains are ones that had been used by people selling OpenOffice. The AOOo project needs to decide which, if any, need to have registration transferred to the ASF.

> Tested links today.
>
> http://www.testopenoffice.org  all links here could be placed in a special place on the home page in a section called (for example) 'how you can contribute'.  One of the links is http://projects.testopenoffice.org/native-lang.html

This will likely go away.

> http://openoffice2009.com/  "Firefox can't find the server at www.openoffice2009.com"
>
> http://openoffice-gratuit.com/  "Firefox can't find the server at www.openoffice-gratuit.com"
>
> http://openoffice-pt.com/ "Firefox can't find the server at www.openoffice-pt.com"
>
> I shan't test any more pages.

Back in August I tested all of them. Since most of these domains were taken from individuals who were abusing openoffice.org, it looks like nothing was ever done other than shut them down.

A few have actual websites, but only one is truly unique - openoffice.org.il

We've had bigger issues, but eventually we will do something to properly redirect these domains whether they are kept or not. This will come after the openoffice.org website is migrated to the ASF.

> With regard to languages other than English, links to these pages could be placed on the home page and on the download page.

The new openoffice.org is coming together on Apache Infrastructure. More details next week.

Regards,
Dave