Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anthony Perera <az...@soliton.com> on 2001/10/11 21:00:31 UTC

Making Tomcat Available Quickly & tags

I have two question, I apologize in advance if there is something I didn't
see.

Q1. I am running 450 MHZ with 384 MBS of RAM on Window NT SP6 and JDK 1.3.1.
When I start tomcat using
startup (so that it runs in the current window), it takes around 1 minute
for it to be available. What I mean is
that if I start the server and then open Internet Explorer and type in a
valid address of a simple HTML file,
http://localhost:8080/super_database/admin.htm I wait for 1 minute before
anything is displayed. Sometimes it even timesout. When I used TC 3.2.1 the
page would display almost immediately. This delay is REALLY slowing down
configuration testing.
Why does it take so long and How do I make it faster?

Q2. I am trying to get the server to display a particular html page if the
user types in the incorrect address. I created a web.xml file in
d:\tomcat4\webapps\super_database\WEB-INF directory. The contents of the
file is as follows:

(START OF FILE)

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>
<error-page>
	<error-code>404</error-code>
	<location>/index.htm</location>
</error-page>

</web-app>

(END OF FILE)

I copied the index.html file from ROOT and put it into
d:\tomcat4\webapps\super_database\.
When I re-start the server and type in
http://localhost:8080/super_database/abcdefg.htm, which is an invalid page,
I still get the standard 404 page. What am I missing?

HELP!

Thanks,
Anthony