Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2013/09/23 18:57:21 UTC

Project name conflict heads-up

Hi!

While testing Spark as part of the Bigtop I've come
across the following conflict on Debian-based systems:

$ apt-cache show spark
Package: spark
Section: universe/devel
Description-en: SPARK programming language toolset
 SPARK is a formally-defined computer programming language based on the
 Ada programming language, intended to be secure and to support the
 development of high integrity software used in applications and systems
 where predictable and highly reliable operation is essential either for
 reasons of safety or for business integrity.
 .
 This package contains the tools necessary for checking if programs adhere
 to the SPARK rules and the tools to show freedom of runtime exceptions in
 those programs. To compile SPARK programs use any standards-compliant Ada
 compiler, such as GNAT.
Homepage: http://libre.adacore.com/libre/tools/spark-gpl-edition/

This has an obvious ramifications for Bigtop packaging, but
it may also have ramifications for PODLINGNAMESEARCH
for Apache Spark (incubating).

Speaking of which -- has anybody else started PODLINGNAMESEARCH
already?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Project name conflict heads-up

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I suggest to rename our package to spark-asf.
  Cos

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, Chris created one for Apache Spark:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-36

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the good feedback! I've filed:
and made it a blocker for the Bigtop 0.8.0

Bigtop 0.8.0 being a 'singularity' release is
our chance to get this right once and for all ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Yup, -bigtop is even better!

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
This makes sense to me. Especially since Bigtop has a policy of not
patching up the upstream sources except for rare temporary situations (eg
the patch for Oozie carried for a while), the apache- prefix is accurate
provenance.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy