Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> on 2012/06/04 17:15:10 UTC

[Draft] How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice

I'm putting this draft together, not because I have all the answers,
but because I think I have most of the questions.  Hopefully others
can help fill in the details.  When complete, this can go onto the
website and we can have a blog post to call for more translation
volunteers.

=How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice=

==Introduction==

OpenOffice traditionally has had excellent localization support,
especially with its support of over 100 languages, including many
minority languages that are not commonly supported in commercial
products.  Our community-led, all-volunteer, open source development
model facilitates this.

Each new version of OpenOffice requires the translations to be
updated, to add translations for terms and phrases that have been
added or changed in the product.  So maintaining support for any given
translation is an ongoing effort, requiring volunteers to help keep
the translations current, complete and accurate.

A list of translations available in the most-recent release of Apache
OpenOffice can be found here:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

A larger list of languages, including ones that have incomplete
translations are listed here:
https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/

[ Is that the correct URL?  There were other AOO-related projects on
Pootle as well. ]

[ Also, is that the entire list of PO files or do we have others?  I
thought we had more than 71 languages ]

==How to Help==

First, register your interest.   We track a list of volunteers
interested in helping with each language on our wiki here: XXXX

[ This doesn't exist yet, but I propose adding it ]

You should add your name to that list, and send an email to
ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org to introduce yourself and your interest
in helping with that language.

[ I'd love to start a new list, ooo-i10n@incubator.apache.org to
handle this and the following translation coordination issues ]

If a build with your language already exists, you should download and
install.  If you find errors in the translation, you can report it
directly as a bug report in Bugzilla
(https://issues.apache.org/ooo/enter_bug.cgi?product=native-lang) or
enter a suggested fix into Pootle (more on Pootle below).

If a build is not yet ready for your language, then that typically
means that the translation is not yet complete.  You can help finish
the translation in several ways:

1) You can send a note to the ooo-dev list [or ooo-i10n list if we
make one] requesting the PO file for that language.  This file can be
loaded into a translation management tool where you can edit the
translation.  When done, or when you've make progress that you want to
verify, you can submit the new PO file as an attachment in Bugzilla.
This approach works well if you are the only person working on a
translation.

[ I need a list of some suggested tools that can be used with PO files ]

2) You can suggest translations on our Pootle server:
https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/   Logins to Pootle are
reserved for project "Committers" (those volunteers who have
demonstrated sustained contributions to the project and have been
voted in as committers).  So initially you will need to work with
Pootle via suggestions.  But translators who have made substantial
contributions via their efforts are regularly give Committer rights.

3) Whichever method you use, when you have completed the initial
translation, send a note to ooo-dev  [or ooo-i10n list if we make
one].  At that point we can make a special test build of Apache
OpenOffice for you to review.  If more changes are required in the
translation, we can iterate on these steps, making changes, making new
test builds, etc.

Note:  This process works best if there is a community of users
supporting the effort, and not just a single translator.  The
additional users, even if they cannot help with the translation
directly, they can help review the test build and point out errors in
translation, as well as other localization errors.  Others on the
OpenOffice project might be able to help you find other interested
users, so let us know, via a note to the ooo-dev list [or ooo-i10n
list if we make one], if you want that help.

-------------------------------

[ Anything else we should add?   I assume we already have more on the
website someplace on the technical details of translation, dealing
with formatting strings and other non-translatable content, dealing
with substitutions in a string, etc. ]

[ A separate topic, and one where we could use an equivalent document,
would be How to Help Translate the Website ]

Re: [Draft] How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice

Posted by bjcheny <co...@gmail.com>.
i think so.
在 2012-6-4 下午11:40,"Donald Whytock" <dw...@gmail.com>写道:

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> wrote:
>> 2) You can suggest translations on our Pootle server:
>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/   Logins to Pootle are
>> reserved for project "Committers" (those volunteers who have
>> demonstrated sustained contributions to the project and have been
>> voted in as committers).  So initially you will need to work with
>> Pootle via suggestions.  But translators who have made substantial
>> contributions via their efforts are regularly give Committer rights.
>
> Should there be an ICLA reference/link?

Perhaps link to this page?  :
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/ppmc-faqs.html#participate

Note that it is not required to sign the iCLA in order to voted in as
a Committer.  The iCLA is required in order to accept.   Strictly
speaking, the PMC votes to offer someone the ability to be a
Committer.  Oftentimes a potential committer will submit an iCLA in
advance, to save time, especially if they know they will be making
ongoing contributions.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> 4) The translation work is separate from almost any other topic on
> ooo-dev.  Testers need to know about ongoing dev work.  Ditto for
> porters, UX, documentation, etc.  But translation is more of an
> isolated activity.

If the i18n@ list is created, you might want to include a suggestion
for them to be on announce@ too, as part of the instructions.  They
should be aware of new releases, which may include new functionality,
which may involve new translation needs.

Don

Re: [Draft] How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 04/06/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> [ I'd love to start a new list, ooo-i10n@incubator.apache.org to
>> handle this and the following translation coordination issues ]
>

> I'm not sure the current traffic would justify it, but at due time it would
> make sense (and as Juergen wrote the name should be "l10n" or "i18n").

Here's what I'm seeing:

1) We're getting someone pop onto the ooo-dev list at frequent
intervals, offering to help with translations.  But only some of them
are succeeding.

2) Some who want to translate are not even jumping onto the ooo-dev
list because it is too large and scary.  For example, I received a
note last week from someone who wanted to help with a translation.
Paraphrasing the note I received:

"The information overflow on this ooo-dev really scares me and and
takes too much time away from my other priorities.  If you possibly
could provide a much more focused environment for localization efforts
I might be able to help.   But this environment must provide
"step-to-step" guides on what to do, and resources to facilitate the
translation process."

3) There is a "natural size" to the translation effort.  For every
language we support, there will naturally be at least once person.
Yes, some languages will be worked on by multiple people, and some
talented translators might help with more than one language.  But on
average, we should anticipate having as many people as we have
languages.  So that would be around 100 people.  Although we don't
have that many right now, it is reasonable to expect we get closer to
that number, if we provide a supportive environment in which to do
this work.

4) The translation work is separate from almost any other topic on
ooo-dev.  Testers need to know about ongoing dev work.  Ditto for
porters, UX, documentation, etc.  But translation is more of an
isolated activity.

5) The translation work is also on a different schedule than the main
work on ooo-dev.  A translator might get involved for a week on a
release, near the end, and then be inactive for months more.  So a
focused list, where they can remain subscribed to, and see a generally
low traffic level, is ideal.  The traffic picks up at some point in a
release, after the features are added and translations need to be
updated.  But the traffic can be lower at other times.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 6/4/12 7:08 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Jürgen Schmidt
> <jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/4/12 5:15 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> I'm putting this draft together, not because I have all the answers,
>>> but because I think I have most of the questions.  Hopefully others
>>> can help fill in the details.  When complete, this can go onto the
>>> website and we can have a blog post to call for more translation
>>> volunteers.
>>
>> you are faster than I ;-)
>>

> Or just more free time ;-0
>
>> I would create a new wiki page and would like to update the wiki page
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide
>>

> The topic is broader than just Pootle, so I hope we have a new page
> that covers the higher-level questions, such as what I have here.
> That can then point into the Pootle wiki for details on using that
> tool.

>>> =How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice=
>>>

>>> ==Introduction==
>>>
>>> OpenOffice traditionally has had excellent localization support,
>>> especially with its support of over 100 languages, including many
>>> minority languages that are not commonly supported in commercial
>>> products.  Our community-led, all-volunteer, open source development
>>> model facilitates this.
>>>
>>> Each new version of OpenOffice requires the translations to be
>>> updated, to add translations for terms and phrases that have been
>>> added or changed in the product.  So maintaining support for any given
>>> translation is an ongoing effort, requiring volunteers to help keep
>>> the translations current, complete and accurate.
>>>
>>> A list of translations available in the most-recent release of Apache
>>> OpenOffice can be found here:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>>>
>>> A larger list of languages, including ones that have incomplete
>>> translations are listed here:
>>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/
>>>
>>> [ Is that the correct URL?  There were other AOO-related projects on
>>> Pootle as well. ]
>>
>> the url is correct for the UI, we have a separate project for the help
>>
>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34_help/
>>

> OK. So we should mentioned both.  I also see projects for AOO 4.0 in
> Pootle.  What is that for?

AOO 4.0 is currently a placeholder for future work, it was initially
created by Raphael as well as plain OOo (Apache OpenOffice (incubating)

I don't have the necessary rights to create or delete projects yet. I
have to work on this ;-)

>>> [ Also, is that the entire list of PO files or do we have others?  I
>>> thought we had more than 71 languages ]
>>
>> no I think we have more, I have started to integrated all po's we have
>> in the repo but have had problems with some of them. This work have to
>> be finished...
>>

> OK.  So maybe on the wiki page where we list volunteers we list all of
> the languages.  And then we can put a note that says if a volunteer
> wants to work on a language that is not yet loaded onto Pootle, they
> should send a note to the list.

we have 112 sdf files in our repo, means 112 languages. Ok one is a
helper only.

> And if someone wants to work on an entirely new language?  How do they
> get started there?   We should have some info on that.

good idea, bit I will try to update pootle with all languages

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
<jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> in the repo but have had problems with some of them. This work have to
> be finished...

OK.  So maybe on the wiki page where we list volunteers we list all of
the languages.  And then we can put a note that says if a volunteer
wants to work on a language that is not yet loaded onto Pootle, they
should send a note to the list.

And if someone wants to work on an entirely new language?  How do they
get started there?   We should have some info on that.

>> ==How to Help==
>>
>> First, register your interest.   We track a list of volunteers
>> interested in helping with each language on our wiki here: XXXX
>>
>> [ This doesn't exist yet, but I propose adding it ]
>
> yes, but we should create one to track the progress and to know who is
> working on the different languages. Good to know whom to contact ;-)

Thanks.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jo...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 6/4/12 5:15 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> > I'm putting this draft together, not because I have all the answers,
> > but because I think I have most of the questions.  Hopefully others
> > can help fill in the details.  When complete, this can go onto the
> > website and we can have a blog post to call for more translation
> > volunteers.
>
> you are faster than I ;-)
>
> I would create a new wiki page and would like to update the wiki page
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide

Yes, this sounds like a great idea! I didn't know about this when I put the
Native Lang page on the project site.

I'll reference the Pootle User Guide in it now, and it would be easiest to
just keep all additional info linked from that.

There seems to be increasing interest in translations that's for sure.

> [...]
> > supporting the effort, and not just a single translator.  The
> > additional users, even if they cannot help with the translation
> > directly, they can help review the test build and point out errors in
> > translation, as well as other localization errors.  Others on the
> > OpenOffice project might be able to help you find other interested
> > users, so let us know, via a note to the ooo-dev list [or ooo-i10n
> > list if we make one], if you want that help.
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > [ Anything else we should add?   I assume we already have more on the
> > website someplace on the technical details of translation, dealing
> > with formatting strings and other non-translatable content, dealing
> > with substitutions in a string, etc. ]
> >
> > [ A separate topic, and one where we could use an equivalent document,
> > would be How to Help Translate the Website ]

MzK

"So let it rock, let it roll
Let the bible belt come and save my soul
Hold on to sixteen as long as you can
Changes come around real soon make us woman and men."
                               -- "Jack and Diane", John Mellencamp

Re: [Draft] How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 6/4/12 5:15 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> I'm putting this draft together, not because I have all the answers,
> but because I think I have most of the questions.  Hopefully others
> can help fill in the details.  When complete, this can go onto the
> website and we can have a blog post to call for more translation
> volunteers.

you are faster than I ;-)