Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jim Richards <gr...@cyber4.org> on 2001/02/18 04:51:27 UTC

startup problems

I'm currently running Tomcat 3.2.1, Solaris7 and J2SE with JDK 1.3 and I have
been getting this problem for a few days now. I've got the 20000217 build installed.
When I start Tomcat this is the log of messages I get (I commented out struts-example
and documentation for this test). (The run script bounces the web server and does a run
start of tomcat, rather then a start/stop).

I'm sure earlier today when I started with the new version I didn't get the load error, and
something I've done has freaked it out. But as you'll see I haven't done that much to
freak it out.

It seems to load everything without a problem, which is odd. As the messages indicate that
the form beans and mappings are loaded without hitch. At the bottom is has

	cannot load servlet name: action

When I run a simple jsp page, that references the formBean I get this error (the
full stack is at the end)

	javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Cannot find ActionMappings or ActionFormBeans collection
	        at org.apache.struts.taglib.html.FormTag.lookup(FormTag.java:686)
	        at org.apache.struts.taglib.html.FormTag.doStartTag(FormTag.java:441)

a test JSP page works (just loading the libs and doing output). It only seems
to be with the forms and associated beans.

Most of the configuration code is a copy from the example application, most of
the mods I have done (eg. database servlet) I have commented out to try and
get this to work. The .tld files are there as I can do things like <html:html></html:html>
and so on.

I've checked package names, I've taken out nifty bits of code, I've checked
classes are compiled and where they expect to be. I've checked file
permissions

My jsp form (which is an include) is this

	    <bean:message key="prompt.username"/>

	    <bean:message key="prompt.password"/>

and my configuration parameters are:

	<form-beans>
		<form-bean      name="logonForm"	type="au.com.cyberlancers.share.forms.LogonForm"/>
	</form-beans>

	<action-mappings>
		<action	path="/logon"
			type="au.com.cyberlancers.share.actions.LogonAction"
			name="logonForm"
			scope="request"
			validate="false">
		<forward name="false"              path="/index.jsp"/>
	</action>

I'm stumped. Any help would be great. If you need more data then I'll include what I can.

##
#	Output of Tomcat 3.2.1
##

root@splat$ ./run.sh
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl restart: httpd restarted
Using classpath: :/usr/local/tomcat/lib/jaxp.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/servlet.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/parser.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/webserver.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/jasper.jar:/cyber4/lib/java2/postgresql.jar:/cyber4/lib/java2/jdbc2_0-stdext.jar:/usr/java/lib/tools.jar

2001-02-18 02:24:00 - Ctx(  ): Set debug to 1
2001-02-18 02:24:00 - ContextManager: Adding context Ctx( cyberlancers.devel.home.cyber4.org: )
Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
2001-02-18 02:24:00 - Ctx( cyberlancers.devel.home.cyber4.org: ): XmlReader - init   /cyber4/projects/devel/cyberlancers/htdocs
2001-02-18 02:24:00 - Ctx( cyberlancers.devel.home.cyber4.org: ): Reading /cyber4/projects/devel/cyberlancers/htdocs/WEB-INF/web.xml
2001-02-18 02:24:03 - Ctx( cyberlancers.devel.home.cyber4.org: ): Loading -2147483646 jsp
2001-02-18 02:24:04 - Ctx( cyberlancers.devel.home.cyber4.org: ): Loading 2 action
register('-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 1.0//EN', 'jar:file:/u02/cyber4/projects/devel/cyberlancers/htdocs/WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar!/org/apache/struts/resources/struts-config_1_0.dtd'
resolveEntity('-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 1.0//EN', 'http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/struts-config_1_0.dtd') Resolving to alternate DTD 'jar:file:/u02/cyber4/projects/devel/cyberlancers/htdocs/WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar!/org/apache/struts/resources/struts-config_1_0.dtd'
New org.apache.struts.util.GenericDataSource
Set org.apache.struts.util.GenericDataSource properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addDataSource(org.apache.struts.action.DATA_SOURCE, GenericDataSource[activeCount=0, autoCommit=false, closed=false, description=Cyberlancers Data Source Configuration, driverClass=org.postgresql.Driver, loginTimeout=0, maxCount=10, minCount=1, password=grumpy, readOnly=false, url=jdbc:postgresql://dbase.home.cyber4.org/cyberlancers, useCount=0, user=grumpy])
Pop org.apache.struts.util.GenericDataSource
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionFormBean
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionFormBean properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addFormBean(ActionFormBean[logonForm])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionFormBean
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addForward(ActionForward[success])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping properties
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping.addForward(ActionForward[false])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addMapping(ActionMapping[path=/logon, type=au.com.cyberlancers.share.actions.LogonAction])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addMapping(ActionMapping[path=/admin/addFormBean, type=org.apache.struts.actions.AddFormBeanAction])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addMapping(ActionMapping[path=/admin/addForward, type=org.apache.struts.actions.AddForwardAction])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addMapping(ActionMapping[path=/admin/addMapping, type=org.apache.struts.actions.AddMappingAction])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addMapping(ActionMapping[path=/admin/reload, type=org.apache.struts.actions.ReloadAction])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addMapping(ActionMapping[path=/admin/removeFormBean, type=org.apache.struts.actions.RemoveFormBeanAction])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addMapping(ActionMapping[path=/admin/removeForward, type=org.apache.struts.actions.RemoveForwardAction])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
New org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
Set org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping properties
Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addMapping(ActionMapping[path=/admin/removeMapping, type=org.apache.struts.actions.RemoveMappingAction])
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
cannot load servlet name: action
2001-02-18 02:24:07 - PoolTcpConnector: Starting HttpConnectionHandler on 8080
2001-02-18 02:24:08 - PoolTcpConnector: Starting Ajp12ConnectionHandler on 8007
2001-02-18 02:24:08 - PoolTcpConnector: Starting Ajp13ConnectionHandler on 8009

##
#	TagLibs exception
##

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Cannot find ActionMappings or ActionFormBeans collection
        at org.apache.struts.taglib.html.FormTag.lookup(FormTag.java:686)
        at org.apache.struts.taglib.html.FormTag.doStartTag(FormTag.java:441)
        at _0002findex_0002ejspindex_jsp_15._jspService(_0002findex_0002ejspindex_jsp_15.java:172)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:177)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:318)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:391)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:797)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp13ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp13ConnectionHandler.java:160)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:416)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:498)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

--
A room without books is like a body without a soul - somebody.
  Mr Grumpy, http://www.cyber4.org/members/grumpy/index.html

Re: Dreamweaver TagLib

Posted by Martin Duffy <md...@thewiringco.com>.
Ted,

I appreciate your quick response. We are evaluating extending Ultradev4 for
Struts ourselves as well. I would say that we are about 99% sure that we are
going to do it. I would really appreciate seeeing the alpha work that you
have when it is available. I think that we could make a contribution as
well. We are looking at making Server behaviors for the MVC portion of
Struts and possibly adding the taglibs as components with wizards. I saw
that there was another group (Compuware in Holland) that is looking at the
Taglib part. I was also thinking about contacting them as well to see if we
might all work together on this.

I think that I understand the htm file now. It is not an extension. Because
an extension would have to be installed using the extension manager and they
have mxp file extensions. I need to do a little research on how it is
installed in Dreamweaver.

I would also like to thank you for the great collection of Struts info on
your website. It is a real help in getting all of the right information
together for getting started with Struts.

Would you mind if I contacted you directly about the Dreamweaver/UltraDev4
extensions for Struts? I do not know if this forum would be appropriate or
not for discussing Struts extensions for UltraDev4.

Martin

Posted by Jens Rehpöhler <je...@rehpoehler.de>.
Hi Ted,

> Dreamweaver doesn't seem to read TLD's directly. It has its own
> extension system -- that also works with ColdFusion, ASP, and whatever
> else.

as far as I know Dreamweaver or better Dreamweaver Ultradev supports only JSP
1.0. That would explain why Dreamweaver can't handle TLD's directly. Maybe it
will be supported in a later version.

Jens

Re: Dreamweaver TagLib

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.

Re: Dreamweaver TagLib

Posted by bram <br...@info.nl>.
Hi
if you make a dir in
    Macromedia\Dreamweaver UltraDev\Configuration\Objects
eg "Struts", you get in your object window a new panal called "Struts"
then you have to make your "tool buttons" like in the other dirs (copying
the Forms dir works is the easyest..)

change the sources so they generate the right codes(struts custom tags)..
I don't yet know how to make that property window, but it is'n hard, (done
it before, but forgot it...)
the translator kicks in for displaying the "content", translates the
"source" into a temporary html file for your main view..

the hardest part is to make datasources work, I could make the basics,
(object-window, property window, enz )
and make one "extension" fore the extension manager so everyone could easely
install it..( have to check the differences between version 3(dreamweaver,
ultradev 3) and 4(dreamweaver, ultradev 4) ....

Should be cool, fully integrated with ultradev you could go to the server to
get some data for every custom tag, layout is yust "click and drag" work....
the only thing is how to display "optional" html/jsp like the content of the
logic tags...

Posted by Martin Duffy <md...@thewiringco.com>.
His the link for the document that Macromedia has on their site for
extending Ultradev. It talks about alot of the diferent ways to extend UD.
It is a good place to get details and where to start.

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/ultradev/documentation/ext_dw_ultradev.zi

Re: Dreamweaver TagLib

Re: Dreamweaver TagLib

Posted by Thierry Cools <th...@s1.com>.
Hi Martin,

Actually, it is more a tag translator than a tag lib.
This means that every time you'll type a struts tag in the editor it will be translated in visual mode.
To use it, simply copy the .htm file in the %ULTRADEV_HOME%\configuration\translator directory.

Please keep in mind, that it was a prototype developed for the 0.5 version and it will need some modifications for the1.0 version.

Thierry

Thierry Cools

Senior Java Developer
S1 Brussels
Kleine Kloosterstraat, 23
1932 st. Stevens-Woluwe
Belgium
Tel : +32 2 200 43 82
Email : thierry.cools@s1.com

Dreamweaver TagLib

Re: Strut / Turbine

Posted by Wong Kok Wai <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the link! The velocity team has raised
several issues that are very relevant.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Strut / Turbine

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
and

Ted Husted wrote:

> See
>
> <
> http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg03206.html
> >

> and
>
> < http://www.mail-archive.com/general@jakarta.apache.org/msg00495.html >
>
> Christophe Vigny wrote:
> >
> > It seems that the database support is pretty lesser in strut than in turbine.
> >
> > I'm wonder what is the better frame work to use, I want to build database driven web site in java
> > technologie.

-- Tel 716 737-3463.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

Re: Strut / Turbine

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
See

<

Strut / Turbine

Posted by Christophe Vigny <cv...@artprice.com>.

Re: startup problems

Posted by Jim Richards <gr...@cyber4.org>.
I've now got the beta-1 build and it works fine with the PostgreSQL driver,
which I'm very happy about.

Mosy things seem to be working fine, I've got my own ActionServlet extending
the base one, overloaded the initDataSources() method so I can create my
own database singleton objects for reference within each Action, to access
the database.

All is well. For now.

I think what might be useful for me now is getting some time together to
read all the new documentation again.

Re: startup problems

Posted by Jim Richards <gr...@cyber4.org>.
>I'm sure earlier today when I started with the new version I didn't get the load error, and
>something I've done has freaked it out. But as you'll see I haven't done that much to
>freak it out.

I think I'm onto something now. I commented out the database connection
code I had:

	<data-sources>
		<data-source
		autoCommit="false"
		description="Cyberlancers Data Source Configuration"
		driverClass="org.postgresql.Driver"
		maxCount="10"
		minCount="1"
		user="grumpy"
		password="grumpy"
		url="jdbc:postgresql://dbase.home.cyber4.org/cyberlancers"
		/>
	</data-sources>

And now it doesn't get the error. Which is really odd because the startup comment
with Tomcat indicated it loaded without a problem. The database is running, and
the postgresql driver is in the CLASSPATH of tomcat.

	New org.apache.struts.util.GenericDataSource
	Set org.apache.struts.util.GenericDataSource properties
	Call org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.addDataSource(org.apache.struts.action.DATA_SOURCE, GenericDataSource[activeCount=0, autoCommit=false, closed=false, description=Cyberlancers Data Source Configuration, driverClass=org.postgresql.Driver, loginTimeout=0, maxCount=10, minCount=1, password=grumpy, readOnly=false, url=jdbc:postgresql://dbase.home.cyber4.org/cyberlancers, useCount=0, user=grumpy])
	Pop org.apache.struts.util.GenericDataSource

The url and username/password works with the JDBC test that come with PostgreSQL 7.0.3 that
I'm using, and other simple tests that I've done.

----
You are the simulacrum of my dreams
 and the signifier of my desires

Mr Grumpy ... come and visit his home!