Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Wicus <wi...@webmail.co.za> on 2008/11/26 15:39:57 UTC

GL Chart of Accounts

Hi,

Can someone please explain the following entries' necessities  / relation
and in more layman's terms ?

1.) GL Account Id                : required : Specific GL account's number
2.) GL Account Type Id         : required : Income & Expense referenced
would result in the creation of the Income Statement, whereas all other
references would result in the creation of the Balance Sheet
3.) GL Account Class Id        : not       : or rather applicable as
explained in point 2
4.) GL Resource Type Id       : ?          : Only references is "MONEY" ....
?
5.) GL Xbrl Class Id              : ?          : No Idea ....
6.) Parent GL account Id       : ?          : Applicable if this is a
sub-ledger
7.) Account Code                 :            : Same as point 1
8.) Account Name                :            : Descriptive Name
9.) Description                     :           : Lenghtier description
10.) Product Id:                   : ????     : ?????

Be warned   :)    Novice at work ;)

Thanks

Re: GL Chart of Accounts

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Wicus,

Have a look at applications/accounting/data/AccountingTypeData.xml

Jacques

From: "Wicus" <wi...@webmail.co.za>

Re: GL Chart of Accounts

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@iguanait.com>.
Hi Wicus,

The best way to understand these entities is through reading
Accounting chapter from Data Model Resource Book v1.
If you search in the ML, you can also find useful information about
these entities.
Here is one http://ofbiz.markmail.org/search/?
q=glaccountclassid#query:glaccountclassid+page:1+mid:k2zt3vyuycf32xye+state:results

Bilgin

Re: GL Chart of Accounts

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wicus

Your question on the Wiki got me interested so I decided to do a bit of
investigation. I took a look at the xml reference from Jacques and also the
Global GL settings generally.

Remember - I'm an OFBiz novice too but my first thoughts are this:

The GL Account Class Id  does appear to be some form on account
classification for reporting purposes. The diagram in the xml refers to the
Debit / Credit accounting equation and shows the breakdown into the
different type of accounts. It maybe that this is already used to generate
the on screen reports.

The GL Account Type Id appears to be something else. Yes – it does look like
a classification system too but it also appears to have a link to the type
of transactions that are posted to the account. The GL Account Type Id is
also used in the GL Account Defaults to specify the default account that
certain transactions (eg Accounts Payable', 'Customer Deposits' etc) are
posted to. So you could see it as a way of translating a business
transaction into an actual accounting transaction.

I think the most confusing thing between the two is that some of the values
are duplicated (eg Current Asset, Current Liability, etc) and I'm not sure
that they should be. What I mean here is that perhaps they should only be
showing as one of the values – not both. If you look at the Global Chart
some of the GL Account Type Ids are blank.

The only real way to find out for sure is to have a go at setting it up in
various ways and see what happens. I'll continue my work on the accounting
documentation but I'd be interested to know if  you find out any more on
this.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: GL Chart of Accounts