Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Ahmed Kamal <a....@live.com> on 2014/02/23 18:11:26 UTC

Mahout with SQL SERVER

Dear All ,

I just have a question. I chose to use Apache Mahout as my recommendation engine but at the same time due to some reasons it would be easier if I could store my data in a MS SQL Server db. Can mahout be connected with SQL Server easily without any problems ? Could it result in performance issue or prevent me from some features ?

In Mahout in Action , it is said that it can be connected with other db engines through JDB driver

"At the moment,  the  primary  subclass  of  JDBCDataModel  is  one  written  for  use  with MySQL 5.x: MySQLJDBCDataModel. It may well work with older versions of MySQL, or even other databases, because it tries to use standard ANSI SQL where possible. It isn’t

difficult to create variations, as needed, to use database-specific syntax and features."

 but I see all articles , books using mysql and also the data model supported are for mysql only. Can you help me with that ?

Regards ,

Ahmed Kamal

Re: Mahout with SQL SERVER

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
You can give o.a.m.cf.taste.impl.model.jdbc.GenericJDBCDataModel a try.
If that doesn't work, you need to create a custom implementation of
AbstractJDBCDataModel which shouldn't be too hard.

--sebastian