Posted to users@isis.apache.org by Erik de Hair <e....@pocos.nl> on 2015/02/16 17:22:40 UTC

export of entity

Hi,

Is there any possibility in Isis to export an entire entity (including
possible directly related entities)?

In one of our processes we need a snapshot of an entity that can be used
later. We don't really need full history, only the 'full' state of the
object just before one particular action is executed by a user, and it
doesn't have to be readable by a business person.

I could use the restful viewer but maybe there's another option with
less meta data in the output.

Thanks,
Erik

Re: export of entity

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 17 February 2015 at 10:38, Erik de Hair <e....@pocos.nl> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> On 02/17/2015 09:07 AM, Dan Haywood wrote:
>

>> In writing this mail I noticed that the XmlSnapshot.Builder interface was
>> slightly incorrect; it was missing the build(...) method (!)  But I fixed
>> that in the latest 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.
>>

> Right now I'm running against Isis-1.7.0. I tried to cast the builder to
> the right type so I could call the build()-method but this was not allowed.

You would need to add a dependency on the implementation.  Not a nice hack,
but okay I suppose if it was only temporary...

> I just wait for the Isis-1.8.0 release. Our next release would be in a
> couple of weeks and I believe the next Isis-release doesn't take much
> longer, does it?

hope to get a release out for voting later on this week.

Cheers
Dan

Re: export of entity

Posted by Erik de Hair <e....@pocos.nl>.
Hi Dan,

On 02/17/2015 09:07 AM, Dan Haywood wrote:

> In writing this mail I noticed that the XmlSnapshot.Builder interface
> was slightly incorrect; it was missing the build(...) method (!)  But
> I fixed that in the latest 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.

Right now I'm running against Isis-1.7.0. I tried to cast the builder to
the right type so I could call the build()-method but this was not
allowed. I just wait for the Isis-1.8.0 release. Our next release would
be in a couple of weeks and I believe the next Isis-release doesn't take
much longer, does it?

I think the Snapshot service could be quite useful, though.

Erik

Re: export of entity

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi Erik,

Before you plough on, there is one further option, namely to use the use
XmlSnapshotService [1] eg:

public class Customer {

    public String getName() { .. }
    public LocalDate getMostRecentOrderDate() { .. }

    public List<Order> getOrder() { ... }
    public Address getAddress() { ... }

}

Customer customer = ...

XmlSnapshotService.Builder builder =
xmlSnapshotService.builderFor(customer);

// name and mostRecentOrderDate automatically included

// to traverse collections and references, use:
builder.includePath("orders");
builder.includePath("address");

XmlSnapshotService.Snapshot snapshot = builder.build();

XmlDocument xmlSnapshot = snapshot.getXmlDocument();  // or
getXmlDocumentAsString(), etc.

Re: export of entity

Posted by Erik de Hair <e....@pocos.nl>.
Hi Martin, Oscar,