Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Lai Yeong Wei <yw...@origineit.com> on 2016/11/06 06:27:41 UTC

Writing Upgrade Packs For Custom Stacks

Hi All,

We are currently developing Custom Stack based on Ambari 2.2.0. We are in
the mist of planning for upgrade version of the Custom Stack.

The closest documentation I could find is at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/How-To+Define+Stacks+and+Services#How-ToDefineStacksandServices-StackAdvisor

Under the heading *Stack Upgrades*. There consist examples of Upgrade Packs
XML. However there are a few items which I am still unclear as below,

1. From the contents of
https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/branch-2.2.1/ambari-server/src/main/resources/
*stacks/HDP/2.3/upgrades/upgrade-2.4.xml*.

Does it mean that when we rolled out Customer Stack 1.0, we need to include
the upgrade pack xml along with it already, say for 1.1? Meaning in the
Stack directory, we would expect /var/lib/ambari-server/resources/
*stacks/CustomStack/1.0/upgrades/upgrade-1.1.xml*?

2. Is there a documentation that explains how to use the Upgrade Pack XML?
For example the tag usage?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Writing Upgrade Packs For Custom Stacks

Posted by Jonathan Hurley <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Ambari 2.4 has actually added quite a bit of new upgrade functionality and XML pack validation as well. It's probably a good time to begin adding some more wiki content to cover this. However, to answer your immediate questions below:

1. Yes, you'd need to have the upgrade-1.1.xml in the 1.0/upgrades/upgrade-1.1.xml.
2. The best way to find out tag usage right now is to look at the existing upgrade packs and ask questions to the community. We'll work on adding some content to the wiki to cover the basic elements and attributes.