Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by GCS <gc...@lsc.hu> on 2003/10/25 17:23:10 UTC

strange error after ci try

Hi!

 We have Debian Woody as a server, SVN 0.24.2 acts as a server with
Apache 2.0.47. I have tried to commit from Debian unstable/SVN 0.32.1.
It was going well, when my link was dropped. Tried again, link dropped,
so I have decided to transfer parts of my work to the server, and add
from there. I did, but when I am trying to ci, I get:
svn: RA layer request failed
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: MKCOL of
/svn/!svn/wrk/c0f4d917-86ca-0310-b1a2-aafb4cd51e5f/1.0:server/kernel/patches:
405 Method Not Allowed (https://server:8443)
I want to add a newly created subdir to SVN, but I have no idea why a
mismatched version SVN would ci the changes, and what's wrong with the
local addition.
Any idea? Thanks.
GCS

Re: strange error after ci try

Posted by Michael Suess <mi...@suessnetz.de>.
On Saturday 25 October 2003 20:02, GCS wrote:

>  The problem is that there is no such person. SVN introduced into Debian
> in testing/Sarge, stable/Woody does not even has the dependency
> packages. I could backport 0.24.2, but not 0.30.0+.

Why dont you try this backport, it works without problems for me and is
reasonably close to the current version:

http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/subversion-woody/

Michael Suess

--
"What we do in life, echos in eternity..."
Michael Suess

Re: strange error after ci try

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
GCS <gc...@lsc.hu> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 01:01:52PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote:
> > In your previous mail, you said client and server were vastly
> > different versions:
> >
> > > SVN 0.24.2 acts as a server with Apache 2.0.47. I have tried to
> > > commit from Debian unstable/SVN 0.32.1.
>  It was, when I started to ci my changes. The client was my working
> machine (latest SVN as a client). But as my link dropped, I took an
> other approach: copied the files with scp to the server, and tried a
> local commit, and _locally the client and the server are the same
> version_. So in short, there were two try on two machines, with two
> different client versions.

Ahhh, understood.  Thanks.

So looking at your original problem, your 0.24.2 client tried to
commit the addition of a directory to your 0.24.2 server (via
https://localhost), and you got

svn: MKCOL of
/svn/!svn/wrk/c0f4d917-86ca-0310-b1a2-aafb4cd51e5f/1.0:server/kernel/patches:
405 Method Not Allowed (https://server:8443)

I'm not sure why you'd get that error.  Any clues in the apache
errorlog or accesslog?

> > Sounds like a problem you need to take up with the Woody SVN package
> > maintainer.
>  The problem is that there is no such person. SVN introduced into Debian
> in testing/Sarge, stable/Woody does not even has the dependency
> packages. I could backport 0.24.2, but not 0.30.0+.
> Oh, and I could do the magic, our SVN server works again, but this time
> I take your advice, and do not try to mix SVN client/server versions.

Ouch.  Sounds like your only choice is not use any woody svn packages
at all, and just build apache and svn by hand.  It's not that bad,
really.

Re: strange error after ci try

Posted by GCS <gc...@lsc.hu>.
On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 01:01:52PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote:
> In your previous mail, you said client and server were vastly
> different versions:
>
> > SVN 0.24.2 acts as a server with Apache 2.0.47. I have tried to
> > commit from Debian unstable/SVN 0.32.1.
 It was, when I started to ci my changes. The client was my working
machine (latest SVN as a client). But as my link dropped, I took an
other approach: copied the files with scp to the server, and tried a
local commit, and _locally the client and the server are the same
version_. So in short, there were two try on two machines, with two
different client versions.

> So what's the story?  If this is true, I'm not surprised at all that a
> 0.32.1 client can't commit against a 0.24.2 server.
 It was working, only my connection died in the middle more than once.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by GCS <gc...@lsc.hu>.
On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 07:18:21PM +0100, Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> wrote:
> >  I would, but beginning with 0.30.0, I could not compile it on Woody.
>
> I compile HEAD on a slightly modifed Woody, but I don't build debs.
 Do you have LDAP installed? Original Woody package, or own one? For me
it seems my compile problems was related to LDAP.

> haven't tried these
>   http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/subversion-woody/
> but they appear to be Subversion 0.31.0
 Argh, if someone would have told it to me, when I had the compile
problems. Well, CJ usually do great job, but this time it was better
that I acted a bit smart. I did svnadmin dump svn >svn_dump, and it was
right as it did not update everything correctly (I had to dl a deb by
hand and install it because of unresolved symbols); and it did not
dump/restore the repo. I let it vanish the config files, I can recreate
them later. My question is: bring down Apache2, svnadmin dump svn
>svn_dump, upgrade, svnadmin create svn, svnadmin load svn < svn_dump is
was correct, or did I forget something? At least once the re-load
stalled at one bigger file (~20Mb) and using ~half of the cpu power
(under normal circumates I hace seen ~100% cpu usage). Also, the dir
where I load back the repo was not growing at all.

Thanks all who helped, it seems the repo is up, and there were no data
lost.

Cheers,

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
GCS <gc...@lsc.hu> writes:

>  I would, but beginning with 0.30.0, I could not compile it on Woody.

I compile HEAD on a slightly modifed Woody, but I don't build debs.  I
haven't tried these

Posted by GCS <gc...@lsc.hu>.
On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 07:42:18PM +0200, Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net> wrote:
> As a general rule, server and client cannot be more than one minor version
> apart.
 Sure, I do understand this, but this time the versions are the same on
the server and the client.

> Most answers comming your way will be "0.24.x is too old to spend our time
> on, please upgrade to 0.31.1 and we will help".
 I would, but beginning with 0.30.0, I could not compile it on Woody.
Sarge would be no problem, but dist-upgrade is not allowed on this
machine. Request on upgradeing, read my previous postings about
compiling svn on woody and sasl problems. Anyway, if no one helps, then
such is life.

> If you do upgrade your server, don't forget there has to be a dump/reload
> cycle for the repository database!
 I know this, and would do immediately as soon as I _can compile_ a
newer svn on Woody.

Well, I think I am stuck here, as I have to travell abroad soon; so
cheers, I will try some magic anyway with this old version.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Hi GCS,

As a general rule, server and client cannot be more than one minor version
apart.
A subversion server version 0.24.x is only "garanteed" to cooperate with
version
0.25 and 0.23 clients.

Most answers comming your way will be "0.24.x is too old to spend our time
on, please upgrade to 0.31.1 and we will help".

If you do upgrade your server, don't forget there has to be a dump/reload
cycle for the repository database!

bye,

Erik.