Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Rahul Raj <ra...@option3consulting.com> on 2017/08/29 14:46:15 UTC

Drill Profile page takes too much time to load

Hi,

The drill profile list page(<<ip>>:8047/profiles) takes few minutes to load
in one of the installation.

There was a considerable amount of processor(20%) and memory(15-20%) usage
during this time. Immediately after displaying the results, values return
to normal.

Could this be because of the values accumulated in profile storage? Is it
possible to purge some data?

Regards,
Rahul

--
**** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. If you are not the named addressee then you should not

RE: Drill Profile page takes too much time to load

Posted by Kunal Khatua <kk...@mapr.com>.
This might be because that installation is possibly hosting a lot of Drill profiles. Do you know how many profiles you have residing in the underlying persistent store?

When a query is executed, the Foreman Drillbit (i.e. the node from where the query is submitted) writes the final profile to the file system. I believe, by default, this is the local file system, though in distributed env, it is recommended to use the DFS itself.
https://drill.apache.org/docs/persistent-configuration-storage/

For DFS, you can follow these steps: https://drill.apache.org/docs/persistent-configuration-storage/#how-to-configure-the-zookeeper-pstore
This will ensure that any profile written by DrillbitA is also viewable by DrillbitB (since they both read back the profiles from the DFS).

If this is the setup you have, you'd need to go to the DFS (say HDFS) and delete the old profiles (*.sys.drill files), while retaining only the most recent ones that you want.

Profile management is not prioritized high because of this work around.

If you don't care about the profiles persisting forever, but only for recent queries, there is an alternative which allows you to store them in memory within the Foreman Drillbit of each executed query. https://drill.apache.org/docs/persistent-configuration-storage/#storing-query-profiles-in-memory
You can force a cap on the number of profiles you wish to retain, and it will always keep that list trimmed. However, you can't see profiles on DrillbitA from another Drillbit as these are not shared.

In the meanwhile, if you think this has a lot of merit, it might be worth dropping a comment or at least voting up these related JIRAs:

**** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee then you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.****

Re: Drill Profile page takes too much time to load

Posted by Rahul Raj <ra...@option3consulting.com>.
As Kunal and Padma mentioned, there are two tickets and I have added my
comment there.

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-2362>

In https://drill.apache.org/docs/persistent-configuration-storage, under
ZooKeeper configuration it is mentioned that 'The ZooKeeper PStore provider
offloads query profile data to the Drill log directory on Drill nodes'. We
need to add a note on the performance impact of accumulating too many files
here and the work around of purging contents manually.

Regards,
Rahul

Posted by Paul Rogers <pr...@mapr.com>.

Posted by Rahul Raj <ra...@option3consulting.com>.