Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Dix <Jo...@amdocs.com> on 2013/07/24 18:53:45 UTC

New to Maven Question

Hello all,

I am a new user to Maven and was given the task at my work to come up with a utility in order to output the build order of our products based on the poms. It made sense to me that I would want to do basically the same thing that the Reactor does except output the tree rather than do an actual build so I downloaded the code for Maven and found the class files ProjectSorter.java and ProjectSorterTest.java as a beginning point. What I think I need to do here is modify the reactor code to actually output rather execute a build.

Is there another way to do this very thing? If not, am I on the right track?

Thanks!

John Dix
Programming Sr. SME, Digital Commerce
Amdocs Digital Services Division
o: 206-288-0334 m: 425.351.7340

AMDOCS | EMBRACE CHALLENGE EXPERIENCE SUCCESS

Did you know...?
Amdocs Mobile Payments enables operators to manage any number of app stores, merchants and aggregators and generate revenues from digital content and mobile commerce

Follow Amdocs on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/amdocsinc/>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/AmdocsInc>, LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/amdocs>, YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/amdocsinc> and Google+<https://plus.google.com/105657940751678445194> - and read the latest on the Amdocs blog network<http://blogs.amdocs.com/>.

RE: New to Maven Question

Posted by John Dix <Jo...@amdocs.com>.
Thanks Curtis. I'll take a look at the validate cmd.

> output the build order of our products based on the poms

Is it enough to simply run "mvn validate" and parse the output? That will show you the build order of your multi-module reactor.

If you have multiple projects in multiple reactors, you could create a toplevel pom.xml joining them all into a single reactor, then run "mvn validate" to get the build order. That assumes that all the POMs have matching versions across the projects though, of course.

Regards,
Curtis

Re: New to Maven Question

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi John,

Re: New to Maven Question

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
This may be too simplistic but can't you just run the build and parse
the log output?

Ron

On 24/07/2013 1:05 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
> On 7/24/2013 9:53 AM, John Dix wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am a new user to Maven and was given the task at my work to come up
>> with a utility in order to output the build order of our products
>> based on the poms. It made sense to me that I would want to do
>> basically the same thing that the Reactor does except output the tree
>> rather than do an actual build so I downloaded the code for Maven and
>> found the class files ProjectSorter.java and ProjectSorterTest.java
>> as a beginning point. What I think I need to do here is modify the
>> reactor code to actually output rather execute a build.
>>
>> Is there another way to do this very thing? If not, am I on the right
>> track?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> John Dix Programming Sr. SME, Digital Commerce Amdocs Digital
>> Services Division o: 206-288-0334 m: 425.351.7340
>>
>> AMDOCS | EMBRACE CHALLENGE EXPERIENCE SUCCESS
>>
>> Did you know...? Amdocs Mobile Payments enables operators to manage
>> any number of app stores, merchants and aggregators and generate
>> revenues from digital content and mobile commerce
>>
>> Follow Amdocs on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/amdocsinc/>,
>> Twitter<http://twitter.com/AmdocsInc>,
>> LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/amdocs>,
>> YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/amdocsinc> and
>> Google+<https://plus.google.com/105657940751678445194> - and read the
>> latest on the Amdocs blog network<http://blogs.amdocs.com/>.
>>

>> This message and the information contained herein is proprietary and
>> confidential and subject to the Amdocs policy statement, you may
>> review at http://www.amdocs.com/email_disclaimer.asp
>>

> I'm also a new Maven user.
>
> How about:
>
> mvn dependency:tree