Posted to dev@ariatosca.apache.org by Thomas Nadeau <tn...@lucidvision.com> on 2018/05/21 15:17:04 UTC

Re: Updated: Discuss The Future Of AriaTosca - Meeting Minutes

Discussing the Future of AriaTosca

Monday, May 21, 2018 10-11AM EST

Attendees: Tal, Ido, Shen, DJ, Tom Nadeau, Sunil

Tom: Does anyone want to proceed forward with Aria and how?
DJ: Ericsson has been looking into this project/area.  They started buildign the missing parts of Aria and wish to contirbute them back to the community.  Initially we discussed these things with Arthur from Cloudify (with Tal) and to help with our contirbutions.   Other than that, we were always under the assumption that the communit was moving forward and we thought we could contribute a few things.

Most recently we have built a lot of components around Aria (including Tosca 1.1).  Issue is there are no active members that can commit our PRs.  We are ready to contribute but need to know what the interest of the community.

Tom: Tal, Ido? Opinions?

Ido: Speaking on behalf of Cloudify, currently we do not have any committers in the Aria project.  We are not actively working on Aria at the moment - as a company we have other initiatives to work on, and other engagements such as LF and ONAP community.  I don't know if that is going to change.

Tal: I'd like to suggest a few options to move forward.  Neither Cloudify nor Ericsson can take leadership of the project.  You can take Apache incubation projects into "The Attic". Different status. Can be unfrozen in the future.  Taking it out of the attic is much easier than starting a new project. Another option is to fork the project and take it to github (outside of the Apache org).

Tom: Thats just forking the code on github.

Tal: Yes. We would tell our mentors in ASF that we are leaving the project and will continue on github.

Tom: They can fork independently and collaborate (Cloudify and Ericsson).

Tal: Ericsson chose this project because they thought there was an active community around an orchestrator.   One option is to look into the Cloudify "community edition". This does not support TOSCA proper but is an option.

DJ: The important part of your last point was to use a pure TOSCA parser implementation.   This is why we were in favor of Aria.

I would like to hear from you (Tal) about moving this to github.

Can you explain why this project was started in Apache?

Tal: Pros (to github): more flexibility (including management). Cons: the management complications.

Right now Aria is being used by the ONAP project in LF.  The fact that the code belonged to a foundation made it attractive to that organization.  WIth that said, Aria does not have a big place.

There are many successful reasons for how projects are successful on github with healthy communities.

I worked hard to get support within Apache for Aria and got mild support.  The community at large did not support this much.

Sunil: This is exactly the question I asked to Arthur a year ago.

Tal: This made sense because it helped us join the open-o and onap communities.  We hoped those folks would contribute back to the project.  Unfortunately those folks haven't, and I am not hopeful that those folks will.

I am actually working on a next-generation of Aria.  I am rewriting everything in scratch in Go to create a stateless parser (TOSCA).  I have a lot of faith in TOSCA but the approach needs to be a lot simpler.   That might be out there on the community to collaborate with.

DJ: As you already pointed out, we are trying to understand if your new project would have the same attraction.

Sunil: Attracting contributors is not necessarily related to Apache.  Tensorflow is a massive project that is just on github without any organizational affiliation.

Shen: Cloudify started this project on Apache.  If Ericsson wants to reboot Aria is this possible?

Shen introduces himself as a Product Manager at Ericsson.

Suneel: Once the project is part of ASF its owned by ASF. The problem is that the active commiters are no longer interested in participating in the project.  Chicken & egg problem.

Shen: Is there a way forward?

Suneel: Ido what are Cloudify's plans going forward?

Ido: See comment above.

Suneel: Cloudify has no stake currently in participating in the project.

Ido: I am just saying this is the current status.

Tal: There might be interest in Aria but is there interest in keeping it in Apache?

Tom: This is one remedy to the chicken&egg problem.

Ido: I think it would be better to keep it under Apache than starting a github project. Why can't we just add Ericsson to the Committers list?

Suneel:  Do we have any PRs that need to be merged?

DJ: We have many things which we wish to contribute.

Shen: We have many improvements.

Tom: Are they ready as a PR?

Shen: Not yet.  But we have many changes that are to be made ready.

Tom: I think I merged about 6 PRs for DJ/Ericsson.

Suneel: The problem is that there are no active committers that can merge the PRs but there are no PRs that can merge/review the PRs.

TOM: There might be a way forward by putting the project in the attic while in parallel working on github.

How does putting a project into the attic work?

Suneel:  I never saw a project moved out of the attic. But your proposal of working on the forked version on github and making the case based on a significant set of contributions to bring it out of the attic/rebooting the project.

Tal: Does ASF have a short cut/emergency way to advance committers?

Suneel: Could Tom/Tal review/merge PRs ?

Tal: I have no interest on moving forward on the project.

Suneel: Consensus is to move the project into the Apache Attic. When/if you guys would like to bring back the code from github, we can restart the project.   We have no committers to review/commit PRs.   If Tal/Tom could lower the bar for committers, this could work too.

TOm: There are no existing ASF comitters left in Cloudify's employ

Tal: What is Cloudify's position Ido? You've been very diplomatic.

Ido: Ericsson can continue with their own copy of Aria and develop it on their own, but this is not a community.   But there was no real community when Cloudify was working on this actively.  We can decide to terminate the project and Ericsson can continue working.

Tal: This is not only about control of the project, but you should have goals such as growing the community.  If you only want control, you can simply fork the code on git.  Is the community part on your roadmap at all?

Shen: Yes, this was on our roadmap.  But now that the situation has changed... It was our plan.   For now the plan is to work on the code. What I am hearing from suneel without existing committers we cannot move forward within the organization (ASF).

Suneel: we have committers but none have a stake in the project.  to move forward we need people to be active in the project including add new committers.

Tal: We can rubber stamp PRs. But we can accept them and then we can vote to accept DJ etc... as a new committers.  That is the nuclear option.

Suneel: The question is: is this really worth it for a single vendor to run this project?

Ido: If you want to graduate from apache incubation, Ericsson will need much more community.

Tom: Community is important to move this forward.

Tal: Graduation is not necessarily an indication of success.  Don't treat graduation as some ultimate goal.

I think we have a bunch of ideas here. Maybe we can meet again in a few weeks.  The ball appears to be in Ericsson's court.  Suneel suggested the "nuclear option".  Tom and I don't really care.  I would go with the nuclear option.  My advice to the E// folks is to think about this a lot for yourselves. It is a lot of work taking a project with code you did not originally write.  If you want to come back Tom and Tal will support that.

Suneel: That is fine with me but is Ericsson really ready to take this over.

Tom: Just post to the mailing list.

Suneel: The other option is again to fork it on github and use that.

Tal: There is an AriaTosca website that is owned by Cloudify.  If you go forward with that, Ericsson should have some discussion with Cloudify.  The existing site points at that.

Tom: The site is incubator.ariatosca.apache.org  The ariatosca.org is owned by Cloudify.

DJ: We will have a discussion internally and let the community know.

Tom: Please push that to the mailing list whatever you decide what to do.

Suneel: would you also like to look at what Tal is looking at?

DJ: yes.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html

Posted by Tal Liron <ta...@gmail.com>.
Sadly, yes.

Posted by Thomas Nadeau <tn...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tal Liron <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Nadeau <tn...@lucidvision.com>.

Posted by S Shenbaga Rajan <s....@ericsson.com>.
Hi Tom,

Posted by Thomas Nadeau <tn...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

Posted by Tal Liron <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

My new TOSCA parser will also be ready for public review in about 1 week. I
propose we delay the decision a bit longer so we can assess the situation.

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:01 AM S Shenbaga Rajan <

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.