Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Ni...@progressive.com on 2002/08/23 16:33:48 UTC

Can SOAP wrap around CORBA object requests ???

-- can SOAP be used in DCE where initially CORBA is used? As now, every
customer wants to access all the application over the Internet, and as
CORBA object requests can not be passed through Firewall, customers want
SOAP implementation around CORBA objects.

So, my doubt is, Can SOAP wrap around CORBA object requests and if yes,
how can one achieve?

If you can guide me by providing some details or some basic information,
will be very much helpful to me.

Re: Can SOAP wrap around CORBA object requests ???

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Let me be sure I understand this.  Is the situation that you have
implemented CORBA interfaces, which you now want to make accessible to
applications using SOAP calls?

If this is the situation, then the answer is "sometimes".  The
implementation would be done with a new provider, similar to the way
providers exist for EJBs.  The provider would need information about
locating the CORBA objects, which would be provided in the deployment
descriptor.  The provider would use the CORBA DII to call methods on the
objects (and do any necessary mapping between types passed over SOAP and
those required for CORBA).

The reason I say "sometimes" is that SOAP does not have all the features of
CORBA.  For example, CORBA allows both call-by-value and call-by-reference.
SOAP only does call-by-value.  CORBA has a base type system that SOAP
may-or-may not cover (although I would think you could do custom types as
required).

Anyway, considering that using SOAP to call EJBs will become commonplace
(EJB 2.1 will require this capability), I think it is very reasonable to try
using SOAP to call CORBA objects.

Scott Nichol

Posted by Tom O'Leary <to...@yahoo.com>.
Nishant,

You might want to check out:

http://www.capescience.com/resources/corba.shtml

We used Cape Clear's CORBA integration capabilities to
quickly wrap an existing IDL interface running on
VisiBroker.

Tom

--- "T. Carson Hager"

Posted by Tom O'Leary <to...@yahoo.com>.
Nishant,

http://finance.yahoo.com

RE: Can SOAP wrap around CORBA object requests ???

Posted by Tim Bertrand <ti...@capeclear.com>.
Nishant,

You might want to check out:

http://www.capescience.com/resources/corba.shtml

It's one of the most extensive CORBA/Web Services resources on the Web.

We currently have a number of customers who are using our products to
interact with legacy CORBA systems & we support the largest variety of
ORBS in the market.

Tim