Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be> on 2009/05/07 23:38:55 UTC

issues with TTFReader

Hi,

I need to deliver PDF for all European languages using FOP (preferably)

I am testing on a windows machine, the eventual operation will be on
a Sun Solaris 10 machine.
And I have a bunch of questions

1. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a font that covers all
the characters I will need. Currently I think that Arial Unicode MS
would suite best
I appreciate suggestions for alternatives

2. I am trying to use TTFReader to  generate the XML font metrics.
That doesn't seem to work

This is my command-line
java -cp
D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\build\fop.jar;D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\lib\avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar;D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\lib\commons-logging-1.0.4.jar;D:\XML\XSLFO\FOP\fop-0.95\lib\commons-io-1.3.1.jar
org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader C:\Windows\Fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF arialuni.xml

This is the error message I get

Parsing font...
Reading C:\Windows\Fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF...
org/apache/xmlgraphics/fonts/Glyphs
         at
org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile.initAnsiWidths(TTFFile.java:444
)
         at org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile.readFont(TTFFile.java:493)
         at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.loadTTF(TTFReader.java:209)
         at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:164)
org.apache.xmlgraphics.fonts.Glyphs

         ... 4 more

Someone out there who can interprete this and give me advice on what is wrong?

3. Can I then use the .ttf and the font metrics on the solaris
machine, or do I need to find an alternative font an do some similar
actions again?

Are font metric files interchangeable? If someone generated the
metrics file for me, could I just reuse it... If yes, is there
somewhere a library of metrics files then?

Thansk for all the help you could give me

Geert

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>.
Unless you explicitely state differently,
fonts will be embedded
(others can correct me if I am wrong)
It is IMHO the best approach, since it makes your "Portable Document
Format" really Portable

So yes, any PDF created that way can be viewed on any platform, as
long as there is a PDF viewer available

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Sumit4dreams <su...@wipro.com>.
hi Geert,

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>.

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Sumit4dreams <su...@wipro.com>.

Hi Geert,

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>.

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>.
mmh, still not there yet

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Hi,

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>.
Sorry for being so ignorant....

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: bug in marker processing?

Posted by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>.
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your answer.

I am happy this is a recognised bug, so I don't need to look further.

I can't use trunk, since I need to install this with a customer,
and "trunk" is not considered "stabile"

I will try your suggestion of making the marker not empty but invisible.
Thank you very much for that suggestion

cheers

Geert

Re: bug in marker processing?

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.

bug in marker processing?

Posted by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>.
Dear all,

I have hit something that seems to me a bug in FOP.

Is this a known bug?
And if yes, is there a known workaround?

I am listing columns with dictionary terms.
Terms can have long descriptions.
If a term continues to the next page, I need to add an arrow in the footer

This is my region after

       <fo:static-content flow-name="mt-region-after">
          <fo:block font-size="8pt" text-align-last="justify">
<fo:leader leader-pattern="space"/>
             <fo:page-number/>
             <fo:leader leader-pattern="space"/>
             <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="right-arrow"
retrieve-position="last-starting-within-page"/>
          </fo:block>
       </fo:static-content>

This is an excerpt of a term

          <fo:block padding-bottom="2mm">
             <fo:block>
                <fo:inline font-size="8pt" font-weight="bold">my
little term</fo:inline>
             </fo:block>
             <fo:block keep-with-previous="always">
                <fo:marker marker-class-name="this-term">my little
term</fo:marker>
                <fo:marker marker-class-name="right-arrow">?</fo:marker>
             </fo:block>
             <fo:list-block margin-left="3mm" space-before="0pt"
space-after="0pt">
                <fo:list-item>
                   <fo:list-item-label>
                      <fo:block line-height="1.0">
                         <fo:inline font-size="8pt">AA</fo:inline>
                      </fo:block>
                   </fo:list-item-label>
                   <fo:list-item-body start-indent="10mm">
                      <fo:block line-height="1.0">
                         <fo:inline font-size="8pt"
font-style="italic">aaaaa</fo:inline>
                      </fo:block>
                   </fo:list-item-body>
                </fo:list-item>
             </fo:list-block>
             <fo:list-block margin-left="3mm" space-before="0pt"
space-after="0pt">
                <fo:list-item>
                   <fo:list-item-label>
                      <fo:block line-height="1.0">
                         <fo:inline font-size="8pt">BB</fo:inline>
                      </fo:block>
                   </fo:list-item-label>
                   <fo:list-item-body start-indent="10mm">
                      <fo:block line-height="1.0">
                         <fo:inline font-size="8pt">bbbbbbbbb</fo:inline>
                      </fo:block>
                   </fo:list-item-body>
                </fo:list-item>
             </fo:list-block>
             <fo:block keep-with-previous="always">
                <fo:marker marker-class-name="right-arrow"/>
             </fo:block>
          </fo:block>

In my opinion, I make the marker empty when a term ends on a page
(see the keep-with-previous)

In Antenna House, this works.
In FOP, I get the arrows, always, which seems wrong to me.
any suggestions?

Thanks

Geert

Re: Unicode fonts Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>.

>How about STIX or Gentium? Both are serif fonts though.

Thanks Justus,

I went for DejaVu Serif, but I am not so fond (font?) of it, since
that is a pretty wide font.
I have a three column layout with sometimes long words and the page
view is not that nice with DejaVu.
As long as I did not find a better alternative, it suits my requirements

In my search of alternatives, I looked after your suggestions, and I
have some comments on that

STIX is still in Beta, so I can't sell it to my customer as a production font

Gentium does support some Greek and Cyrillic, but too little Cyrillic
for my purposes (and the Cyrillic also is documented as 'in beta')
I also did not find "bold" and "bold italic" fonts in the package

So, my hunt for better is still open

cheers

Geert

Unicode fonts Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Ju...@Piater.name.
Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com> wrote on Fri, 08 May 2009
10:12:25 +0100:

> Geert Bormans wrote:
>> 1. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a font that covers all
>> the characters I will need. Currently I think that Arial Unicode MS
>> would suite best
>> I appreciate suggestions for alternatives
>
> Arial Unicode MS does indeed have a good coverage of glyphs for most
> languages.

How about STIX or Gentium? Both are serif fonts though.

Justus

AW: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Georg Datterl <ge...@geneon.de>.
Hi Geert,

One word of warning: Using ArialUnicodeMS gives you only plain characters, no bold, no italics. If you find a font containing all Unicode characters (esp. chinese, japanese, korean) in bold, please drop me a line.

Regards,

Georg Datterl

------ Kontakt ------

Georg Datterl

Geneon media solutions gmbh
Gutenstetter Straße 8a
90449 Nürnberg

HRB Nürnberg: 17193
Geschäftsführer: Yong-Harry Steiert

Tel.: 0911/36 78 88 - 26
Fax: 0911/36 78 88 - 20

www.geneon.de

I will give it a go and see what happens,

Thanks for your warning as well, I will carefully check the license with microsoft

Re: issues with TTFReader

Posted by Geert Bormans <ge...@gbormans.telenet.be>.
Sounds great Chris,

Re: issues with TTFReader