Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com> on 2004/11/15 22:04:25 UTC

Re: the future of MultiFieldQueryParser

Daniel,

I've already addressed this issue a few months ago on the lucene-users
list.  My improved version of MultiFieldQueryParser is at
ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/transient/janssen/SearchTest.java.  It works
with either OR or AND.  I'll file a bug report with this patch.  In
the meantime, the class NewMultiFieldQueryParser in SearchTest.java
will do what you need.  Unfortunately, the change from Lucene 1.4.1 to
1.4.2 inexplicably broke the Lucene API.  I've been told it will be
fixed for 1.4.3, but for now either use 1.4.1, or patch the class for
1.4.2.

Bill

Re: the future of MultiFieldQueryParser

Posted by Nicolas Maisonneuve <ni...@free.fr>.
Can we add a boost array parameter  in the parse method

Example: query: "X AND Y"  with
fieldn with boost value bfn

Ex (field1:X^bf1 AND field1:Y^bf1) OR (field2:X^bf2 AND field2:Y^bf2) OR ...
(fieldn:X^bfn AND
fieldn:Y^bfn)
or :
(field1:X^bf1 OR field1:Y^bf1) AND (field2:X^bf2 OR field2:Y^bf2) AND ...
(fieldn:X^bfn AND
fieldn:Y^bfn)

or what you want , but add the opportunity to parameter a boost value for a
specific field,

nicolas maisonneuve

Posted by Daniel Naber <da...@t-online.de>.
On Monday 15 November 2004 22:04, Bill Janssen wrote:

> I've already addressed this issue a few months ago on the lucene-users
> list.  My improved version of MultiFieldQueryParser is at
> ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/transient/janssen/SearchTest.java.

Do you see any advantage of your implementation over the one I posted to
the list? I'd prefer mine (actually Eric Jain's) as it's shorter and
doesn't require "instanceof". BTW, both don't properly support the new
FuzzyQuery that lets you set a minimum similarity. I'll fix my proposal
accordingly.

Regards
 Daniel

--