Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Buffington <bu...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/29 19:54:55 UTC

Form Based Authentication : connection and bind to directory problems

I'm trying to use form based authentication with JNDIRealm to validate users
in an Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) directory. I have a small
test app working; however, I must enable anonymous binds in ADAM or provide
the username and password in the realm element. Obviously both of these
options are not ideally secure.

What I want is to have the Tomcat connect and bind to the directory with the
username and password supplied in the login form. The Realms and AAA section
of the docs say this: "If these properties (connectionName and
connectionPassword) are not specified the connection is anonymous. This is
sufficient in many cases." What I run in to is that when Tomcat tries the
initial connection it fails. I then cannot connect and bind with the user
name and password supplied by the form. Does anyone know of a way to force
Tomcat to attempt the connection and bind after the failed connection
attempt?

Thank you

Chris

Re: Form Based Authentication : connection and bind to directory problems

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Afternoon
yes..sooner or later you will need to test your authenticate algorithm with valid username/password combination
If you're in healthcare app such as ADAM your authentication algo will need to support HIPAA law
In any case please keep me apprised on your progress,
Thanks
Martin --
This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
contents
Posted by Christopher Buffington <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
IIRC there is no way to do that. As an alternative, you can hack
JNDIRealm to have it do what you wish.

-Tim