Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ninju Bohra <ni...@technologypartners.co> on 2012/07/25 18:16:02 UTC

[io] Problem with the FileUtils.byteCountToDisplaySize() method

Hello all,

First time poster so please be kind.

I need to convert a filesize to a human-readable String and I saw the method in FileUtils that I thought I could use.

But I also searched StackOverflow.com and found the following question:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3758606/how-to-convert-byte-size-into-human-readable-format-in-java

It looks like the most popular answer appears to be more flexible and capable (esp. for European concerns) that what is currently in FileUtils.java

What is the process for getting this behavior available to FileUtils.java, either as a new method(s) OR as an update to the existing implementation?

Thanks,

________________________________
Ninju Bohra
(636) 534-5753 (desk)
(636) 675-0639 (cell)
ninju.bohra@technologypartners.co<ma...@technologypartners.co>

Re: [io] Problem with the FileUtils.byteCountToDisplaySize() method

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25 July 2012 21:08, Elijah Zupancic <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Ninju,
>
> Could you describe the difference in functionality between the
> stackoverflow answer and the current implementation in FileUtils? I
> think that it would not be too hard to get the type of functionality
> added if it was defined precisely.
>
> Also, would you be willing to volunteer to add the code yourself? I'm
> relatively new around here and I've found that the best way to get
> something done is to offer to do it yourself.

If so, the JIRA issue tracker is where we keep track of patches and
enhancement requests.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
> I've found that the best way to get
> something done is to offer to do it yourself.

that's the best quote of the day! :) Users have to contribute back!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/

Posted by Elijah Zupancic <el...@apache.org>.
Hi Ninju,