Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Glenn Holmer <gh...@weycogroup.com> on 2012/06/12 18:39:16 UTC

commit mergeinfo?

We're on Subversion 1.6. After creating a branch, we merged from trunk
to branch three times. After the third merge, we noticed an
svn:mergeinfo property on the top directory of the branch:

glennh@shadow:/mnt/sdb1/netbeans-branches/ICE-3.0.1 > svn diff --depth empty .

Property changes on: .
Modified: svn:mergeinfo
   Merged /phoenix-jee6/trunk:r17676-17689

We're not sure if this was there after previous merges from the trunk or
not. Should this property be committed before doing any more merges?

--
Glenn Holmer
Weyco Group, Inc.

Re: commit mergeinfo?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 04:13:10PM -0500, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> We upgraded from 1.5 to 1.6 fairly recently, and had a lot of pain with
> merges in 1.5; we're still a little skittish about it.

I'd recommend 1.7 instead of 1.6, especially for the client-side.
There are some nice-to-have merge-tracking enhancements in 1.7:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html#merge-tracking-enhancements

Re: commit mergeinfo?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <gh...@weycogroup.com>.
On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 23:00 +0200, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:39:16AM -0500, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> > We're on Subversion 1.6. After creating a branch, we merged from trunk
> > to branch three times. After the third merge, we noticed an
> > svn:mergeinfo property on the top directory of the branch:
> >
> > glennh@shadow:/mnt/sdb1/netbeans-branches/ICE-3.0.1 > svn diff --depth empty .
> >
> > Property changes on: .
> > Modified: svn:mergeinfo
> >    Merged /phoenix-jee6/trunk:r17676-17689
> >
> > We're not sure if this was there after previous merges from the trunk or
> > not. Should this property be committed before doing any more merges?
>
> Yes! It should be committed along with the merged changes.

That's what we thought; in fact, I found the commit of the mergeinfo
from the previous trunk-to-branch merge in the history after I posted.

Re: commit mergeinfo?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:39:16AM -0500, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> We're on Subversion 1.6. After creating a branch, we merged from trunk
> to branch three times. After the third merge, we noticed an
> svn:mergeinfo property on the top directory of the branch:
>
> glennh@shadow:/mnt/sdb1/netbeans-branches/ICE-3.0.1 > svn diff --depth empty .
>
> Property changes on: .
> Modified: svn:mergeinfo
>    Merged /phoenix-jee6/trunk:r17676-17689
>
> We're not sure if this was there after previous merges from the trunk or
> not. Should this property be committed before doing any more merges?

Yes! It should be committed along with the merged changes.
See this section of the svnbook for details:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.branchmerge.basicmerging.html#svn.branchmerge.basicmerging.mergeinfo