Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Edmon Begoli <eb...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/14 14:16:00 UTC

Portability limitations of Parquet

What are the portability limitations of Parquet generated data files?

I.e. what determines if the parquet data file generated on one OS can or
cannot be moved to another?

Re: Portability limitations of Parquet

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@dremio.com>.
what Nong said.
The format is independent of the OS.
https://github.com/apache/parquet-format/blob/master/README.md

--
Julien

Re: Portability limitations of Parquet

Posted by Nong Li <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonios <An...@Landoop.com>.
This shouldn't be a problem Edmon. Think of parquet files as a file format
- like ZIP files
Similarly to how you can generate .ZIP files in one OS and unzip them into
another OS - parquet should be transparent

The only limitation i can think of, is in the object model.

If you are using Avro to describe your objects - and you are using an Avro
feature introduced in specifications 1.8.0
you could be having issues when trying to read them from a platform that
has 1.7.6 Avro spec/libraries in the classpath