Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/30 17:20:26 UTC

Questions on documenting how to change our documentation (web site)

So I've spent several hours trying to figure out how to make
documentation changes.  I think I'm ready to write up some
documentation on the process, but I need to fill in some of the gaps.

So far, this "Documentation" thread started by Grant Smith back on
November 19th, 2012 seems to be our only documentation of the process.

http://markmail.org/message/henatrlhvz5kooai

>From what I can tell, our website is updated by directly modifying
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/site/publish and committing
the changes.   Are all of the files now manually maintained, or are
some of these files built and maintained by maven?   And how do we
know which are which?

The wiki portion of our web site is under the CMS system at
http://myfaces.apache.org/wiki/  and is modified using a CMS editing
bookmark containing this URL:

javascript:void(location.href='https://cms.apache.org/redirect?uri='+escape(location.href))

It is replacing what used to be at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYFACES/Index although
there has not been a complete migration of the pages from the
confluence wiki to the CMS wiki.   The old cwiki is still accessible
at the https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYFACES/Index url.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/site also contains "cms-site"
(which is our CMS wiki) and "trunk" in addition to "publish."   It's
unclear what trunk is used for but I see that it's still being updated
with MyFaces release version changes.  I suspect that this is used by
maven for generating pages and pushing them to "publish".   Is this
what "mvn site" is supposed to be working with?  I'm guessing that
this is the part that Grant Smith has been asking about for a couple
of years now.

Action items:

1) Document the above once the information is verified and questions
have been answered

2) Migrate anything worth saving from cwiki to CMS-wiki.

3) Turn off cwiki

I'm willing to do 1) once someone else fills in the missing bits.

Any volunteers to work on 2)?  Even migrating a single page would help.