Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Troy Bull <tr...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/20 15:32:25 UTC

Info about building

Greetings

I have been building each version of svn in the 1.5 branch to make
sure I wont have any problems.  I manage what I think is a large
repository and it is of most critical importance that things run very
smoothly.  I am planning on upgrading from 1.2.3 to 1.5 when 1.5 goes
"gold".

That being said to build subversion I use the following commands

./configure --enable-all-static --without-jdk --without-swig --without-neon
 make

My question is, what do --without-jdk --without-swig --without-neon
do?  Will I be missing some important features?

Thanks
troy

Re: Info about building

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> You'd also be able to access svn:// and svn+ssh:// URLs. Neon is only
> for http:// and https:// URLs.

Doh, yes, you're right... <hangs head in shame> :{

John

Re: Info about building

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Info about building

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Troy Bull wrote:
> ./configure --enable-all-static --without-jdk --without-swig --without-neon
>  make
>

> My question is, what do --without-jdk --without-swig --without-neon
> do?  Will I be missing some important features?

Possibly; why are you using such a restrictive feature set?  As for the
individual options:

These
	--without-jdk
	--without-swig

are both hints to configure not to bother looking for either of those
external application/libraries.  If you aren't ever going to use any of
the bindings (either javahl or python/perl bindings via swig), then
these are safe to use.

On the other hand

	--without-neon

is a little strange.  The Neon library is a required part of the client
support.  The new Serf WebDAV library (an alternative to Neon) won't
automatically be switched on by turning off Neon, so you won't be able
to use anything but file:// URL's.

HTH

John