Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Charles Daniels <cj...@yahoo.com> on 2004/03/14 10:19:08 UTC

Plugin configuration and behavior

Hi,

I am quite new to Maven and am having a difficult time understanding some behavior I am seeing
with respect to plugins.  I have been doing some experimentation with the javadoc plugin to try to
resolve some other issue, but ran across some behavior that I don't understand.

In an attempt to mimic the war:load goal, I placed an empty javadoc:load goal within the
plugin.jelly file of the javadoc plugin (v1.4).  Then, I added javadoc:load to the prereqs of the
javadoc goal.  When I run 'maven javadoc', I can see from the output that the javadoc:load goal
was attained prior to the javadoc goal, as expected.  However, when I attempt to directly attain
the javadoc:load goal (via 'maven javadoc:load'), I get the following message:

    INTERNAL ERROR
    Reference made to goal 'javadoc:load' which has no definition.

What am I missing?  Why would I get this message when I directly attempt to attain the
javadoc:load goal, but get no complaints when it is attained via a prereq?  I am getting very
confused by Maven's behavior.  Any clarification on this type of behavior will be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
Chuck

Re: Plugin configuration and behavior

Posted by Eric Giguere <er...@videotron.ca>.
Hi again
Euh, I see... Get the maven-plugins from the apache CVS tree.
Either you get the whole project from CVS or, just get the project.xml
file that is at the root of the plugins project. This way, you should be
able to update it.
Or, you could just make your tests in a custom plugin (copy the content
of the javadoc plugin, and rename it) so that you'll be able to install
it. From what I see in the plugins master project, only these snipits
could be important to transfer in you new plugin project file :
    <resources>
      <resource>
        <directory>src/plugin-resources</directory>
        <targetPath>plugin-resources</targetPath>
      </resource>
      <resource>
        <directory>.</directory>
        <includes>