Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com> on 2014/01/20 15:37:31 UTC

OFBiz / BigFish site goes live -- www.IHateStevenSinger.com

All,

I'm pleased to announce that the latest OFBiz / BigFish implementation
is now live.

Check out www.ihatestevensinger.com.

Steven Singer is the leading jeweler is in the renowned Diamond District
of Philadelphia (the oldest diamond district in the US). The new site
enhances the quirky brand for Steven Singer and sets them apart from
many of the plain vanilla jewelry online sites. As well as all the
standard features of BigFish, the Steven Singer site had some special
requirements that were integrated back into  the BigFish platform:

  * RWD (Responsive Web Design)
      o the site is fully responsive and designed to work on devices of
        all sizes
      o workstations, tablet and smart phones all provide a easy-to-use
        interface
      o the best way to see this in action is to resize your browser
        when viewing the site
  * Custom Attributes for registration
      o we developed a flexible way for the configuration of the
        registration form
      o so Steven Singer can prompt for wedding date, ring size etc on
        registration
      o and, for example, other retailers can configure this to prompt
        for attributes relevant to their business
  * Gift Card redemptions on check out
      o integration with TenderCard to redeem and gift card dollars
        available
  * Gift Card messages
      o ability for customers to enter a custom gift card message for
        all product purchased
  * Live Chat, integration
      o Live Person integration
  * Pixel marketing tagging
      o Ability to include custom pixels for specific pages for
        marketing purposes (retargeting etc)
  * Multiple Shipping Addresses
      o One of the more challenging features is to allow for a single
        checkout workflow with the ability to ship product(s) to
        multiple addresses
      o Has appropriate shipping charge, and tax calculation based on
        destination addresses

The site is tuned to perform with average daily visitors in the ~4000
range with an expectation of peak traffic at 10,000 visitors per day as
we get closer to Valentine's Day. Sales are running about 10% higher
than this time last year!

For more information about BigFish check out http://bigfish.solveda.com.

Nick

Re: OFBiz / BigFish site goes live -- www.IHateStevenSinger.com

Posted by Ted Byers <r....@gmail.com>.
Thanks Nick.

I appreciate it.  Except for the fact I am using my own hardware, for my
experiments, I have set up my web apps with a different machine for each
server: apache, mysql, and tomcat.  I still have to determine whether it is
more economic to use dedicated hardware or a hosting option like Amazon's.

I haven't looked at Amazon yet, but the hosting services my colleagues use
seem a little expensive, for what they're getting.  I could buy a decent
machine for what they have paid over a quarter in order to get decent
performance (due to relatively anemic virtual machines provided, not
connectivity to the web).

Cheers

Ted

--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.
TED@MERCHANTSERVICECORP.COM

Re: OFBiz / BigFish site goes live -- www.IHateStevenSinger.com

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
Ted,

 From my tech, you asked for it, here goes :-)

Posted by Ted Byers <r....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.

Posted by Ted Byers <r....@gmail.com>.
Thanks Nick,

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
Ted,

Posted by Ted Byers <r....@gmail.com>.

Re: OFBiz / BigFish site goes live -- The Swedish Institute

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Congratulations!

Jacopo

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
Pierre,

OK, good. As I mentioned in my initial post we've yet to come across a
requirement that we couldn't solve within OFBiz. We have had to be
creative sometimes but that's what makes it fun.

We've been using OFBiz for years now -- for both ERP and eComm solutions
and I'm constantly surprised as to the data model flexibility. It wasn't
obviously apparent at first, and somewhat daunting, but after a little
while we all "got it". We all have to remember that what OFBiz is trying
to solve is very complicated -- ERP is extremely challenging -- and a
great deal of flexibility is required to solve everyone's requirements.
The key for me is to always look within OFBiz for a solution (it's there
somewhere) and work within the intent of the project design. Our very
first implementation we did not do this -- and paid for it later.

Lastly, I'm excited about the documentation effort (great job by Sharan
and Ron to take this on) -- this can only enhance the project as a
whole. It would be nice to think that we can continue to get adoption --
and having great documentation is a pre-requisite for that, imo.

Good to share war stories! Even better to share successes.

Nick

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Nick,

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.