Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jared Reeve <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/07 23:56:36 UTC

Tomcat vs Websphere sendRedirect

In WebSphere I do a sendRedirect("/servlet/MyServlet") within a servlet and it works successfully.  It prepends the host and root URI.  Why can't I do the same thing in Tomcat?  It does not prepend the root URI.  Do I not have something configured correctly?  I would like to port this application without changing any code.  Thanks.
function SetDomain(d) { document.domain = d; }

faith.yahoo.com

Re: Tomcat vs Websphere sendRedirect

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Jared Reeve wrote:

> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:56:36 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jared Reeve <ja...@yahoo.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat vs Websphere sendRedirect
>

> In WebSphere I do a sendRedirect("/servlet/MyServlet") within a servlet
> and it works successfully.  It prepends the host and root URI.  Why
> can't I do the same thing in Tomcat?  It does not prepend the root URI.
> Do I not have something configured correctly?  I would like to port this
> application without changing any code.  Thanks. function SetDomain(d) {
> document.domain = d; }

Websphere appears to be broken in this respect.  See the last sentence of
the first paragraph in the Javadocs for sendRedirect():

  If the location is relative with a leading '/'
  the container interprets it as relative to the
  servlet container root.

Note that the servlet container root is *not* the same as the context
root, unless you happen to be in the default webapp that has a context
path of "".

Craig