Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dave Pooser <da...@pooserville.com> on 2014/06/16 15:42:27 UTC

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

On 5/30/14 11:11 AM, "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com> wrote:

>Good time for an update to the users list about the issue.  The box that
>processed the updates at the ASF collo failed catastrophically during a
>power surge that took down some other boxes as ell. Unfortunately, while
>the project requested backups in 2009, they were not implemented.

Now that the update box is back online (and thanks for all your hard work
on that! Systems archaeology is no fun at all), is there anything useful
the community can do to help prevent another such catastrophe? I'd be
willing to contribute hardware and/or VM space at $WORKPLACE for an
offsite replica as long as we wouldn't need to sync more than 2-4GB/day
after the initial setup completed.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, francis picabia wrote:

> If this is open source, why not take advantage of all of the repositories
> available for this?  Git?  Sourceforge?  Mirrors?  The problem isn't merely
> the lack of a backup, but a single point of failure waiting to happen.

The point of failure isn't simply a set of files, it's a processing
resource.

Something like a VM snapshot that could be easily restored (i.e. on an
Amazon cloud server, say) to get a working environment would be a good way
to back up centralized part of the masscheck infrastructure.

Kevin, is this running on a VM now, such that this is an option?

   Microsoft is not a standards body.
  2 days until SWMBO's Birthday

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 06/16/2014 08:39 PM, francis picabia wrote:
> If this is open source, why not take advantage of all of the repositories
> available for this?  Git?  Sourceforge?  Mirrors?  The problem isn't merely
> the lack of a backup, but a single point of failure waiting to happen.
> When something goes wrong with kernel.org or the like, it isn't backup
> tapes that get them online again quickly.  I don't know enough about it,
> but I know the general principle that if you have a problem you're likely
> not the first to encounter it, and you usually don' t need to invent a
> solution, but look into how it has been solved elsewhere.

This not about where to store code...

This about a system that does all the rule score manipulation, prepares
updates, etc, etc, etc
Software repositories don't handle this.
There is no similar processing going on elsewhere.

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

Posted by Ben <be...@list-subs.com>.
> At the ASF, there is an infrastructure team that manages those type of
> issues.  They work hard and do a lot of good but unfortunately, there
> was a disconnect back in 2009 and a backup request was not implemented
> correctly.

An untested backup is not a backup.  Some people only ever seem to learn
that the hard way.

To be honest, given the popularity of SA and the relative importance of
the sa-update service it's astonishing that such a SPOF with such a lax
management routine was allowed to occur.

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 6/16/2014 2:39 PM, francis picabia wrote:
> If this is open source, why not take advantage of all of the
> repositories available for this?  Git?  Sourceforge? Mirrors?  The
> problem isn't merely the lack of a backup, but a single point of
> failure waiting to happen.  When something goes wrong with kernel.org
> <http://kernel.org> or the like, it isn't backup tapes that get them
> online again quickly.  I don't know enough about it, but I know the
> general principle that if you have a problem you're likely not the
> first to encounter it, and you usually don' t need to invent a
> solution, but look into how it has been solved elsewhere.
At the ASF, there is an infrastructure team that manages those type of
issues.  They work hard and do a lot of good but unfortunately, there
was a disconnect back in 2009 and a backup request was not implemented
correctly.

So this is less about inventing a wheel and more about making sure that
we have air in the spare tire...

regards,
KAM

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

Posted by francis picabia <fp...@gmail.com>.

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
> [...]

this might be perfect for you.  And what I love doing is evolving the
rule writing from manual to automated processing.  It's quite a science
really!

- Coders - The life blood of a project really.  If you want to help
write code, become a committer and help drive this project on the PMC,
speak up!

- Testers - People who will use trunk on production systems and give
constructive feedback on real-world mail flow.  NOTE: trunk is usually
in good shape and runs on many of the committers systems. Because of the
way the system is plugin based, the experimental stuff is usually not
enabled by default.

- RBL Stuff - I'm also still working with the ASF to see if we can run a
distributed RBL under the projects Umbrella so stay tuned on that...

Regards,
KAM

Re: sa-update NOT updating.

Posted by Joe Quinn <jq...@pccc.com>.